SD cards AIFS problem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by marchey, Aug 18, 2008.

1. marchey

marchey

Hello

After installing an 8 Gb SDHC card I encountered the following problem.

The card itself was integrated automatically in my file system (I think using AIFS). However I find that I can not see directories I added in some applications. The file manager and Firefox handle it pretty well, but OpenOffice, Netbeans, Photomaster,... and many others don't. The newly created directories just don't show up. If I look with the filemanager, the most obvious difference seems to be that older folders take up 4kB of memory and newer ones 32 kB.

The question now is...what can I do about it. If this is a 'normal' price to pay for this 'seemless' integration, then I would prefer not to have it and I would rather mount the SGHC card as a separate drive. Does anyone know how I can do this. (To be honest.. I am very close to calling this 'linpus' experience off and installing Kubuntu).

Marc

marchey, Aug 18, 2008
  2. marchey

Sid

Run the desktop upgrade script, you will "see" the left slot as a standard card. Look at the attached image, see the SDHC card.

The machine is much better after the script has run, sensible desktop.....

Do read the thread before making your choice.
    viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1256&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Sid, Aug 18, 2008
  3. marchey

marchey

Sid,

I do appreciate all the work you have put into this script, but I am not ready to throw away all my modifications as yet. I have spent almost the whole week now in tweaking this system (I will use it as my primary system while travelling in China soon). I only upgraded my AA1 with this 8GB card last Friday and now I am pissed off to find out that in fact some applications do support this type of seemless extension and some don't. Even some of the standard applications that are on the AA1 (like this photo master and media master can't see directories created after upgrading...which is really, really lame. Basically, I think that Acer should offer a solution for this. But perhaps I am dreaming?

Thank you!

Marc

marchey, Aug 18, 2008
  4. marchey

BlackLagoon

This is just a hunch, but is it possible that the programs that find the new directories are looking at /mnt/home/, while the ones that don't are looking at /home/user/?

I believe running
    Code:
    sudo yum update hal
    and then applying the fix from the Read Me thread will disable the merged filesystem. Haven't tried the second card reader myself though.

BlackLagoon, Aug 18, 2008
  5. marchey

marchey

Yes, it was that simple! Thanks a million times. No need to disable the integration system. I have been playing around with it somewhat and actually I find it is rather well done, even providing for the possibility of upgrading your card, i.e. going from a 2Gb card to a higher one later.

Marc

marchey, Aug 19, 2008
  6. marchey

Sid

Not my script, much as I would like it to be.
    I cannot steal another persons work.

Sid, Aug 19, 2008
Ask a Question