Screen flickering

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by valbanis, May 5, 2009.

1. valbanis

valbanis

Hello all, new to this forum with a bit of a problem and I would appreciate your help and expertise. I did a search but couldn't find an answer.

I recently got an Aspire one 10" win XP model, which however developed a strange problem. When running an application, Firefox for example (but it has done this with other applications) the screen tends to flicker (not on-off but in colour if that makes sense). However if I minise the Firefox window and go to the desktop the flicker stops. Similarly if I open a window within the Firefox, a warning message for example, the flicker stops.

Now, I' ve read that this is due to a BIOS problem, involving the screen brightness levels. The hardware has 6 levels, but the software thinks it has 10, and so the conflict causes the flicker. I also read that this is related to the battery charge. For both cases the solution was to update the BIOS. However, since I couldn't find a coherent solution for the problem, I thought I' d register to see if this problem has been encountered and if there is or are any suggestions and solutions.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you!

:)

valbanis, May 5, 2009
  2. valbanis

AlanM

AlanM, May 5, 2009
  3. valbanis

creepinchi

Will that BIOS work on the 10.1 AOD150? I thought it was for the 8.9 acers?

creepinchi, May 5, 2009
  4. valbanis

AlanM

Good question and despite some time searching could not find an answer - sorry. You could try posting against the Macles article or perhaps someone else on this forum has the answer.
    Alan

AlanM, May 6, 2009
  5. valbanis

valbanis

Thanks for your replies. I' ll dig a bit deeper to see what else I can find, but it sounds like the BIOS needs update. I' ll try to contact Acer too, to see what they say.

Thanks again.

:D

valbanis, May 6, 2009
  6. valbanis

Scarpad

My 8.9 AA1 does the same thing, flashing to the gateway bios has made no difference, has anyone gotten any other Ideas? I hate to have to send this in.

Scarpad, May 11, 2009
  7. valbanis

Scarpad

Well I solved the issue , sort of, I bought the newly released Mini 10v from Dell this morning. The Acer will be sent to acer for repair and then sold.

Scarpad, May 12, 2009
  8. valbanis

judeh101

I got my aspire one back from the repair, and they replaced my LCD, and now it doesn't flicker anymore. Still the same model LCD Screen, but it doesn't flicker anymore. However, I couldn't get my lower brightness back, so I crossflashed my aspire one to a Gateway LT1001 bios. And now, I have both lower shades, and non-flickering screen.

judeh101, May 28, 2009
Ask a Question