screen flicker after log in

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jeffvz, Jun 4, 2009.

1. jeffvz

jeffvz

Hello,

I just got a new acer aspire one 8.9" 160G HD 1G RAM. This baby:

http://www.frys.com/product/5827653?

Every thing works fine, fast. Except that every time I log in, the screen flickers once (only once right after I log in) in say 20 seconds, during the program loading. I guess this maybe a software problem rather than hardware. It happens only once (but every time) within few seconds after logging in.

Has any one experienced the same problem? Which program cause this?

Also, I checked hardware device and in display, I see 2 entries for the Intel 950 chip said, one says function 0, one says function 1. And the CPU show double CPU as well in device manager as well as in task manager (is the Atom dual cores?) Any explanation?

Thanks.

jeffvz, Jun 4, 2009
  2. jeffvz

ronime

Flicker is a well known problem on some AA1 screens. Try turning the brightness up to 50% or more and see if the flicker is less noticeable. If this is still not acceptable then return it as faulty.

ronime, Jun 4, 2009
  3. jeffvz

wozofoz

Check to see that your battery is firmly in place so it is tight up against the case where the connectors would be.

Check the BIOS version:
    Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information > System Summary

I got mine updated by Acer to version 3009 (it seems there is now version 3010)
    The BIOS update is a good idea anyway :)

All the best, woz of oz

wozofoz, Jun 5, 2009
  4. jeffvz

Netbook Nick

The single flicker that the OP is talking about is actually the Intel video driver application taking over display control from the Windows system. This only affects those One models with Windows installed. To demonstrate, If you go into the Intel section of the display properties and change the gamma/color/brightness, you will find that on boot up those settings are not reapplied until right after that flicker you see.

Netbook Nick, Jun 9, 2009
Ask a Question