Screen Angle and Tilt Problem Viewing Angle Brightness

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Zenspiral, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Zenspiral

Zenspiral

I just received my Aspire One 160 GB 6 cell XP . It is under 48 hours old.

I am noticing that if I have the screen in the full upright position (90 degrees vertical) the screen looks very very washed out or dim. The color is not bright. An upright screen is a normal position for a laptop or home computer. I am basically asking why the viewing angle (as defined by the angle of the screen in relation to the keyboard) has to be fairly extreme. I want a vertical position for my screen but am finding that the screen must be pushed back almost fully to get a sweet picture. I have already tried the screen in a variety of settings and this seems to be the only position (pushed back towards battery) that creates a nice picture.

I have to tilt the screen almost to fully reclined or pushed back completely to get it to show nice resolution. This is not a screen angle that I usually use

Can anyone tell me if they also have to open their screen completely or nearly completely to get a very good picture or screen resolution? The little buttons on the keyboard for dim and bright affect the image minimally in terms of this problem.

Key words: Screen Angle Tilt Brightness Bright Dim Dimness Resolution Problem Viewing Angle

Zenspiral, Nov 1, 2008
  2. Zenspiral

Tamrac

The proper viewing angle is determined by the angle of your eye level in relation to the angle the screen is facing the user. It's not the angle in relation to the laptop body.... In your case that you say you have to push it back.... is the laptop position alot lower than your eye level? In that case you'll obviously need to angle the screen fairly towards the rear to make the LCD screen face your eye on parallel. If it's on a 90deg position, you're eye level is way above and not parallel to the screen hence poor picture.

Tamrac, Nov 1, 2008
  3. Zenspiral

Zenspiral

See previous posters response to original post. Original Post still wide open.

This is an interesting question in ergonomics and sight-lines. I only used the laptop at desks and tables of fairly standard desk and table height. That said the laptop is still (screen top inclusive) below my head---so what you say is relevant. To have this screen vertical, I'd have to be a child or sitting below the laptop.

I am wondering though, what the majority of the people are having to set their screen angle (angle of the screen that is hinged to the unit) at? Given that the Asus Aspire One is geared to adults / college students, there is a kind of assumption that this vertical position or near vertical would be "optimal". For fun I will move the laptop to eye level with screen center at my nose to see if this 'in-fact' changes the look and brightness to my human eye.

I just want the thing on a desk or table, looking decent without too much extreme positioning of the screen---there are plenty of reviews that are saying the screens look washed out. I don't think this is what the people are intending. I think they didn't anticipate having to place their screen at such an extreme angle. There is another cohort of folks with the 3 cell saying they don't get optimal color on battery alone. If they tried the screen angle extreme, maybe their unit would look fine too? If this is the case, Asus might want to explain what the optimal position is for the screen position in relation to the keyboard. I think I'm not alone in this challenge. I could find short chairs.

Any more folks having to open their A1 wide open? Any folks having any luck with the dim and brightness keys?

thx.

Zenspiral, Nov 1, 2008
  4. Zenspiral

AceRyan

The second poster is correct. The screen should be parrallel to your viewing angle. So, if the computer is generall in your lap, then this would mean the screen will most likely be tilted back almost all the way since you will be looking down on the computer. Even on a desk, the tilt will be much greater than a standard sized laptop b/c you are looking down on it more than you would a larger screen. I have not seen any reviews calling the display of the AA1 washed out and I actually think the color is quite vibrant.

Also, FYI, Acer makes the Aspire One. Asus makes the EEE line.

AceRyan, Nov 1, 2008
  5. Zenspiral

Chicago_Jake

My screen looks quite clear and vibrant from just about any angle (Linux version, if that matters). What determines the angle I use it at is the lighting in the room; it is so reflective that I have to angle it to avoid reflections from windows and lamps......Jake

Chicago_Jake, Nov 1, 2008
  6. Zenspiral

Zenspiral

I had one of the One Lap Top Per Child Machines and it had a different type of display with the small form factor. I've accepted the simple fact that the screen must be tilted at an angle in order to create the right viewing angle. The color is quite good when the screen is tilted. I've never suggested it wasn't though I'd googled through some aspects of reviews that voiced this observation.

Anyone want to take a stab at my post about heat (hot spots) on the palm rests. It's a separate string but the palm rests are quite hot with the 6 cell 160 GB. That post is under the search function "Heat"

Thanks for all the screen reassurance.

Zen

Zenspiral, Nov 2, 2008
  7. Zenspiral

Tamrac

That's ok bro. You're conclusions was kinda faulty due to your confusion of the ASUS EEE PC and Acer Aspire One. The Acer Aspire One's LCD screen is the best 8.9inch LCD in the market. Bright crisp colors. Not at all washed out. If you're in windows, go to the advanced tab of the diplay settings adjust the bightness/contrast to your liking if the brightness level is still too washed out for you. Cheers bro.

As for the palm rests, yes this is normal. The AAO tends to get hot on the rests, specially if used with the AC adapter. This is normal and should not be a problem.

Tamrac, Nov 2, 2008
  8. Zenspiral

Zenspiral

Thanks everyone for all the great help!

I feel relieved regarding the screen angle--I now know the tilt back setting is normal. Yeah it's an Acer Aspire One--sorry to confuse it with Asus. Just a word of support to anyone searching---I waited months for this unit to come available in the 160 GB 6 cell configuration based on specs, reviews and price. I paid $300 for my 160GB 6 cell blue Acer Aspire One....but that was with a credit card incentive which worked for me.

I also thank the person who replied regarding the heat. It is hot in these spots and having someone provide reassurance here in the forum is very helpful and community-like. It definitely is hotter under AC than battery. Ive read myriad hints to keep it running slightly cooler if needed. It's quiet given all the things it does. The fan noise as people refer to , to me sounds normal for a little power-house doing all the things it does. I want to clarify that I did not consider the screen to be all washed out, the screen is quiet clear to me and vibrant at the angle that works for me. I just was citing reviews as I was also trying to get confirmation about the screen tilt.

I do feel like I come to this UltraCompact world with some experience--I used an imate Jam for years with a folding Targus Keyboard--talk about portable, albeit the net was slow but all my needs were in my coat pocket. I then had the One Lap Top Per Child machine which was fantastic in its own way but the keyboard is for children as is the unit. This the Acer Aspire One is not just for kids it's for a broad range of folks--I'm actually working on a Ph.D. , thus this machine was the answer to many many needs. Can do all the word pro, Excel, run SPSS and still work the net without any compromise.

I'm happy. As I'm running windows XP, I would be curious to know how to adjust the screen further through the advanced settings. i keep getting thrown into the configuration manager for the screen manufacturer and not for the more generic , more global XP screen settings. I'll try again but if anyone can do the ole--go to control panel, go to screen, go to blank, click advanced, it'll help alot.

Thanks.

Zen

Zenspiral, Nov 2, 2008
Ask a Question