Scientists Develop Mind-Controlled Wheelchair

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

US scientists have developed a machine that enables people to navigate a robotic wheelchair through their thoughts.

"In some severely disabled people, even blinking is not possible," said Miguel Nicolelis, a neuroscientist at Duke University.

"For them, using a wheelchair or device controlled by non-invasive measures like an EEG (a device that monitors brain waves through electrodes on the scalp) may not be sufficient," he said.

"We show clearly that if you have intracranial implants, you get better control of a wheelchair than with non-invasive devices," he added.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/science/news/scientists-develop-mind-controlled-wheelchair-810208

Sefie, Mar 5, 2016
    IcyBC and IBMPC8088 like this.
  2. Sefie

Hozyboy

Technology keeps developing everyday. It has both its dark side and good side. It is innovations like these that make us love technology. Giving someone who has lost everything hope.
    Wow.

Hozyboy, Mar 5, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. Sefie

IBMPC8088

Professor Xavier likes this. +1

;)

In all seriousness, this is a good development and will be helpful. All too often, there are a lot of not very savory things done with this type of technology, but it's nice and very good to see some technology still being used correctly to help people as it was originally intended to do.

IBMPC8088, Mar 6, 2016
    something back likes this.
  4. Sefie

Sefie

@IBMPC8088 LOL, I had the same thought about professor Xavier xD Imagine getting one of those chairs and move it around with your mind? It'd be impossible not to make that connection xD

Sefie, Mar 7, 2016
  5. Sefie

IcyBC

Whoa..fantastic and will be so helpful for many people! My friend adopted two wheelchair bound children, and she would love to have one of these wheelchairs.

IcyBC, Mar 9, 2016
  6. Sefie

Krnasmommy

I think this is so amazing! It will help anyone who is wheelchair bound feel more independent and better about themselves. The technology the world is creating today just blows my mind!

Krnasmommy, Jun 28, 2016
  7. Sefie

filmjunkie08

Think of how many people this wheelchair can help be more independent. I am sure their families will be grateful as well. I wonder how expensive the initial chairs will be and if insurance will pay for it.

filmjunkie08, Jun 28, 2016
  8. Sefie

sparkster

This doesn't surprise me at all. I've done a lot of research into this kind of thing starting decades ago, including into conspiracy theories (many of which are conspiracy facts). There are literally thousands of people all over the world who already have microchip implants in their heads and can control computers with their thoughts. The power of thought is an amazing thing. The power of integrating consciousness with technology is a scary thing.

sparkster, Jun 29, 2016
  9. Sefie

obliviousme

The technology of today is very advanced, it's amazing what people invent nowadays! I think this is good news for those people on wheelchairs, it makes the navigation for them easier.

obliviousme, Jul 22, 2016
  10. Sefie

ad.mike2016

I think this is a great invention and pretty scary. We are getting closer and closer to mind control in general. I wonder what technology will look like in 100 years!

ad.mike2016, Aug 12, 2016
Ask a Question