Samsung NC10 Netbook entering the market!!

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by ramdiane, Sep 23, 2008.

1. ramdiane

ramdiane

Buy at PC World UK

Samsung has announced a 10 inch netbook to rival Aspire One, Dell and the Eee...

It actually looks stunning and will offer lots of options... sounds great!!

Read the article here:

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-16 ... +NC10.html

Was waiting for the Aspire one 6 cell with 160gb XP version to hit the UK... but might hold out for this one...

It has a non-glossy screen, available in different colours and has a full size keyboard.

hit me back with your opinions please!

ramdiane, Sep 23, 2008
  2. ramdiane

bingobongo

Specs are GREAT. Let's wait for the price :)

bingobongo, Sep 23, 2008
  3. ramdiane

sideways

I wouldn't buy another netbook with the current atom processor, performance is unacceptable. The 900mhz celeron in the asus eeepc is ok, if you don't mind the reduced battery life (not that you'll notice when compared to the puny battery supplied in the aspire one)

sideways, Sep 23, 2008
  4. ramdiane

ramdiane

are you using your netbook purely as it is intended? or are you trying to use it as a desktop replacement?

I would have thought that the Atom processor would be very suitable for basic tasks such as internet browsing etc...

ramdiane, Sep 23, 2008
  5. ramdiane

bingobongo

I also think Atom is ok. I use it to browse the net, to watch divx movies, play some games (Worms, etc) and even with Visual Studio 2008. Until now the CPU is not the part of hardware that makes me sad, it is the small battery :lol:

Some benchmarks: http://myeee.wordpress.com/2008/08/10/i ... m-celeron/

bingobongo, Sep 23, 2008
  6. ramdiane

ramdiane

What appeals to me about this samsung is the fact that it has a non glossy screen and has a full size keyboard.

although the AA1 claims to have 92% size of a normal keyboard, i still struggled to type on it... (and i have normal hands haha)

Also the samsung claims that you will get about 8 hours of battery. All this inside a 10.2 inch screen chassis..

So therefore you wouldn't have to have a 6 cell battery sticking out of it..

main concern however is the size of it... how big is 10.2 inch in terms of a netbook. Isn't that size venturing more into the notebook territory rather than a netbook??

will it be easily portable at 1.33kg?

ramdiane, Sep 23, 2008
  7. ramdiane

onlineaddy

I too like the looks of the Samsung. However, I'm afraid its size is bordering on the too big for me. The non-glossy screen has got to be great. However, I'm not sure that it'll have a full-size keyboard. Note that the press release states "normal-size, ergonomic notebook PC style keyboard". That's normal-size keyboard for a notebook. Not all notebooks have full-size keyboards, do they?

onlineaddy, Sep 23, 2008
  8. ramdiane

nowikissyou

"Anti Bacterial Keyboard

And finally, the NC10 features an amazing Samsung innovation - Silver Nano Technology. By sprinkling incredibly small, nano-sized silver ion powder on the keyboard it makes it impossible for bacteria to live and breed, creating a more hygienic personal computing environment."

AWESOME! :)
    cf. with http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7377002.stm

The size and weight seem "ok" to me, let's see if the price is right (probably not...).

nowikissyou, Sep 23, 2008
  9. ramdiane

Mission

i prefer the unhygenic computing enviornment if it saves on cost.

Mission, Sep 24, 2008
  10. ramdiane

ramdiane

Well since the AA1 160gb XP/6Cell/1gb RAM version is taking sooooo long here in the UK, I may settle for this one. It looks more robust and appears to have a better feel than the AA1.

ramdiane, Sep 24, 2008
  11. ramdiane

ramdiane

ramdiane, Sep 24, 2008
  12. ramdiane

penandpaper

play.com has a release date of 1/10/08. that's a typo. they might mean 1/10/09?

but seriously, i prefer to wait for a netbook that will deliver around mid 2009 to early 2010.

penandpaper, Sep 25, 2008
  13. ramdiane

ramdiane

yeah but that's the same with any laptop/pc you buy...

after a year or so, it's almost obsolete!

I think the Atom processors are more than capable for a netbook, because as we know netbooks are supposed to be used for connecting to the Internet whilst being portable and very small...

Apart from the fact Intel will be releasing new processors for next year for netbooks, what other features are you expecting/hoping to see on these netbooks?

ramdiane, Sep 25, 2008
  14. ramdiane

ramdiane

The notebook hasn't even been released yet and already its price has gone down by £30..

That means it is now priced at £299. I think that this is great value compared to the Acer. And to those that were also concerned about the screen size of this product, a 10.2 inch screen is hardly much bigger than the Acer's 8.9 inch screen..I went to a shop in London to check sizes and there was an MSI wind there that was 10.2 inches in size. And it wasn't much bigger at all, or heavier and now i have to say that the bigger size doesn't matter...

And it seems you are getting more for your money in terms of the 6 cell battery (which i don't think they are releasing in the UK, see other forums) and the fact that it also has Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

And no glossy screen with antibacterial keyboard.. haha. And choice of 3 colours!

no one seems to be interested in this forum, but i must say the Samsung is looking pretty darn good at the moment, compared to the ACer.

ramdiane, Oct 6, 2008
  15. ramdiane

Sherlock

Interesting that with Samsung one of the main manufacturers of SSD's (Solid State Drives) there is no mention of an option for one on the NC10.

Sherlock, Oct 10, 2008
  16. ramdiane

BrianHill

It's due out at the end of October :D

In White, Black and SHINY Blue (like AAO) :roll:

Cost on www dot eBuyer dot com here in UK just under £300 including VAT, then postage (£15?) :geek:

Looks very "I want one of those... " :mrgreen:

Brian.

BrianHill, Oct 15, 2008
  17. ramdiane

ramdiane

nah i would get it from somewhere else if i were you to avoid paying the delivery!

play.com, or even amazon.co.uk when they have them should do...

but may wait for proper reviews of the netbook first.

There has been a Ukrainian review already...

ramdiane, Oct 16, 2008
  18. ramdiane

zoogle

Time to sell the AA1...and buy this....

I'll miss you chaps.

zoogle, Oct 29, 2008
  19. ramdiane

fortunz

laptop magazine's review has it actually testing with 7 hours of battery life. Lots of netbooks advertise that much, but the best (6 cells) usually get around 5.

Impressive.

fortunz, Oct 29, 2008
  20. ramdiane

lardyboy

Just got mine today

Nice bit of kit, early days yet but it feels nice, great key board and quality build.

Too early to talk about performance as yet.

The screen if great

PAid £249 for it

lardyboy, Nov 7, 2008
Ask a Question