samsung 1.8" hdd broken clip

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by kramer, May 5, 2009.

1. kramer

kramer

Hi im new to this forum .. tried to mod my aspire one ie adding a 1.8" hard disk with tnk girls mod but unfortunately broke the black clip on my samsung hs082hb 1.8" hard disk....Is this disk still useable or is it a lost cause.....any advice on how to repair or be able to use this disk would be appreciated..thankyou in advance.....

kramer, May 5, 2009
  2. kramer

melhiore

You actually broke clip or clip just slide out from ZIF connector?? If clip slide out you can try to push it back - it should fix the problem...

melhiore, May 5, 2009
  3. kramer

kramer

unfortunately the clip broke into 2 pieces............can it be used without the clip somehow?

kramer, May 5, 2009
  4. kramer

TantalusFld

Kramer,

I had the same problem with my first zif Samsung drive (didn't know how to operate the lock properly). I got it going by trying several different thickness of plastic as a shim to the ribbon connector. One thing to note. the ribbon only goes in 1 or 2 mm into the connector when properly inserted. Just set the drive on the edge of the case. You don't need to put the whole computer together to test it, don't even need to connect the keyboard to test boot. Find a combination where it starts working (check in bios). Then carefully put it together. It can work again.

Jim

TantalusFld, May 6, 2009
  5. kramer

melhiore

Alternatively you can look for this type of ZIF connector in shops like RS-online. All you have to do is just swap this broken part - easier and not involving any magic tricks ;)

melhiore, May 6, 2009
  6. kramer

TantalusFld

What connector are you referring to? Can you post a link? The connector on the Samsung drive is part of the drive itself. If you accidentally pull the latch back too far (like I did) or break it you cannot get it back on.

TantalusFld, May 6, 2009
  7. kramer

melhiore

Yes - connector is a part of HDD but plastic latch should be exactly the same for ZIF header - so it's worth trying... ZIF connector is the one where you locking ZIF tape on mobo side...

melhiore, May 6, 2009
  8. kramer

TantalusFld

melhiore,

It would be nice if the connector was the same as the motherboard, but it is quite different on a Samsung drive, much smaller and has all 40 pins of the connector jaw threaded thru it. Only a small Japanese person could ever put one back on.

TantalusFld, May 7, 2009
  9. kramer

kramer

thanks for all the replies to my question ..i managed to get the drive going by just putting the original zif cable into the drives slot.it is very tight and once the drive was fixed to the mb with some double sided tape it couldnt move out.. i did think about maybe using some hot melt glue to secure it later but i have been using the modded aspire one for a few days now and havent had any probs with it.....i have deliberately been moving the aspire one about(ie shaking ..gently bumping etc..putting down harder then normal ) to see if it would cause a prob but none so far..it hasnt missed a beat and the difference in speed with the hdd is great ...once again thanksto all for the replies

kramer, May 9, 2009
Ask a Question