Root Access

Discussion in 'Linux' started by zero9046, Sep 3, 2008.

1. zero9046

zero9046

How do I gain root access to file locations such as usr/home...

I have enabled advanced mode, and even followed the directions on mcales (or whatever the website is) to update to Firefox 3, but I found a desktop background I wanted to use, and I was supposed to just extract the files to usr/share...or a similar location, and, from the File Manager, when i try to type in usr/share...usr/home or anything like that, I get the little red circle with the horizontal white dash through it.

Any help?

zero9046, Sep 3, 2008
  2. zero9046

IMSancho

To run programs as root you either have to launch the program with the sudo command in front of the command you want to use( e.g. 'sudo mkdir /somedir') or 'switch user' to root by typing 'su' at a prompt and entering your password. You should see the prompt change to a hash (#) which indicates you are currently root.

IMSancho, Sep 3, 2008
  3. zero9046

jukk

usr/share means that such a directory exists within your current directory. I rather think that you should use /usr/share, where / means the root directory.

jukk, Sep 3, 2008
Ask a Question