Rons XP - Windows Update Wont Work? - UPDATE: WILL WORK!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by myksterx, Jul 16, 2009.

1. myksterx

myksterx

######################################################
    # !!! UPDATE !!! NOW WORKING !!! FOLLOW STEPS BELOW !!! #

for anyone else trying to do this, i have just bypassed it (with help from google!!!)

As i type this i have updates installing via IE8 :) (even though typing this im using Firefox3)

1: Goto google, type "Download qmgr.dll" - download it.

2: Goto google, type "Download qmgrprxy.dll" - download it.

3: Start > Run, Type "regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll" - then press enter. - This one registered for me....

4: Start > Run, Type "regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll" - then press enter. - This one failed? However i carried on....

5: Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

6: Find "Background Intelligent Transfer Service", highlight and press enter.

7: Startup type: automatic - change it from manual?

8: Click "Start" - to enable the service..

9: Reboot the laptop..

10: Open internet explorer, windows update website and download the updates!!

I have also just enabled automatic updates by doing the following:

right click My Computer > Properties, Click "Automatic Updates", Click "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them" Click OK

It then showed up at the bottom the little yellow update icon, which before didn't work.

It come up and said it had 1 update which was the Windows Genuine Advantage Tool.. I unticked the box and clicked close, it then popped up and asked me if i wanted to be notified about this update in the future, i ticked the box which said no. then clicked ok!

Should be ok now for the future (bit of luck)!

GOOD LUCK!
    MIKE!

# !!! ORIGINAL POST BELOW, ASK QUESTIONS IF NEED BE !!! #

Anyone know how to repair it so that windows update will work?

just that the rons XP isnt fully up to date with the latest fix's and stuff, and i tried normal windows update via

My computer (Right-click) > Properties > Windows Update > Download & Install Automaticly

It doesnt work...

then i tried downloading ie8, microsoft update website, express installs, it fails ..

obviously something has been removed, but i dont know how to re-install as im not to sure what im looking for..

any help>

myksterx, Jul 16, 2009
  2. myksterx

donec

Re: Rons XP - Windows Update Wont Work?

I suspect that Ron's XP is not a MS legally licensed version of XP (MS must be paid for any use of their product) and if so then MS will not allow updates just as it will not allow pirated versions to be updated.

donec, Jul 16, 2009
  3. myksterx

myksterx

no mate i downloaded te genuine advantage tool and the o/s passed as a legal copy

however, the actual "windows update" itself. doesnt run?

(the little yellow icon at the bottom and stuff)

it says insert windows disk with i386 folder or something...

so im assuming its been deleted, however, i dont know where to go from here to fix the situation

myksterx, Jul 16, 2009
  4. myksterx

garrovick

Donec is 100 percent correct. You have a bootleg copy. No updates for you. Enjoy what you have.

garrovick, Jul 16, 2009
  5. myksterx

myksterx

ok what you guys aren't understanding..

i have actually downloaded the genuine advantage tool from the microsoft website..

my copy of XP has passed as a genuine copy of windows..

thus making my copy to have the ability to download microsoft updates..

HOWEVER

as it has been stripped down to enable the aao run faster, the actual windows update service, has been REMOVED from the XP Copy.. its still there to enable.. however nothing enables and nothing works.. the first time i tried it.. it asked me to enter the Windows XP disk with the i348 folder (or whatever the folder is) to install the windows update service...

however since the first time, it hasnt prompted me again...

so as i stand now :

i am a genuine xp holder on the aao (allowing me download)

however, when it tries to, it wont.. ive tried it manually on the windows update website..

but it just says failed..

ive tried it manually on my PC (which isnt a genuine copy)

and before it begins to download, it actually says "This is not a genuine copy of windows"

where my AAO doesnt say such thing, it just fails.

anyone help who understands?

myksterx, Jul 17, 2009
  6. myksterx

donec

That doesn't mean it is a legal copy. It only means that either the information needed has been removed or some how the Genuine Advantage has a loop hole in it that is not catching the Ron's TinyXP. If you really want to know if you have a legal copy of XP call MS and tell them what you have done and ask them if it is legal and if it is them have them explain why it wont update.
    That just goes to show that it is not a legal copy and for some unknown reason it is not being reported as such on your AA1 which IMO could but may not be done to make it work on the AA1's.

donec, Jul 17, 2009
  7. myksterx

myksterx

for anyone else trying to do this, i have just bypassed it.

As i type this i have updates installing via IE8 :) (even though typing this im using Firefox3)

1: Goto google, type "Download qmgr.dll" - download it.

2: Goto google, type "Download qmgrprxy.dll" - download it.

3: Start > Run, Type "regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll" - then press enter. - This one registered for me....

4: Start > Run, Type "regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll" - then press enter. - This one failed? However i carried on....

5: Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

6: Find "Background Intelligent Transfer Service", highlight and press enter.

7: Startup type: automatic - change it from manual?

8: Click "Start" - to enable the service..

9: Reboot the laptop..

10: Open internet explorer, windows update website and download the updates!!

GOOD LUCK!
    MIKE!

myksterx, Jul 17, 2009
  8. myksterx

myksterx

Hi mate, thanks for your replys anyways, i know its not a legit copy, due to it being "Rons XP" this is not legit.

However, it DID come back as genuine copy, and now i have got to the bottom of it!

There where 2 missing DLLs which are used by the Windows Update Service (mentioned above)

I downloaded those, and ran the "BITS" in the control panel.

It now works 100%!!

Maybe i wasn't as stupid as you originally thought, i was right in what i was saying, there was something disabled in this copy of XP which didn't let me download the updates..

Cheers for your input anyways, maybe you have learned something yourself just like i have!

MIKE!!

myksterx, Jul 17, 2009
  9. myksterx

donec

Hi Mike sorry you thought I was thinking of you as stupid. In no way was that in my mind. I help a lot of people with their computers and most of them are too busy to educate themselves in the details. For this reason I find myself trying to educate them for their own good. I assumed that maybe you fell into this category so I was trying to help.

I would be interested to know if it still passes the Genuine Advantage Tool.

donec, Jul 17, 2009
  10. myksterx

myksterx

[/quote]Hi Mike sorry you thought I was thinking of you as stupid. In no way was that in my mind. I help a lot of people with their computers and most of them are too busy to educate themselves in the details. For this reason I find myself trying to educate them for their own good. I assumed that maybe you fell into this category so I was trying to help.

I would be interested to know if it still passes the Genuine Advantage Tool.[/quote]

I understand mate, no hard feelings at all!

I have worked with PCs since Windows 95 (when i was 5 lol) and since then become very good on computers.. (now 19 lol)

So im far from that category, learned everything i know the hard way and its drilled into my head thoroughly for future reference!

Anyway mate i will definitely update this thread if i come across any problems along the way!

Hopefully i can assist others too. (Pretty straight forward with those steps above tbh!)

Cheers mate! Appreciate the input

MIKE!!

myksterx, Jul 17, 2009
  11. myksterx

garrovick

It's good that you have figured it out...

Any chance you can be a distributer of this upgraded OS?

garrovick, Jul 17, 2009
  12. myksterx

myksterx

its actually Rons XP mate not my own XP..

however, if you mean me just compile it the way Ron has done to send it to you then yeah i can do that!

however!

ive never actually done it before.. could probably figure it out if you tell me the tools i need ..

is it nLite? heard of that for stripping down XP..

MIKE!!

ps: if you want me to do that for you, ill include all updates in it whilst im there, also, it would include the programs i have installed on the OS at the moment..

Office 07
    iTunes (for the pod)
    AVG Free
    WMP11
    IE8
    Firefox3
    Updated AAO fan control

everything else is the same as Rons XP except for the above..

I cant be bothered to re-install Rons XP then do the windows update fix then redistribute it.. cause its going out of my way alot..

however i do not mind compiling my XP i have right now!

cheers!!!

MIKE

myksterx, Jul 17, 2009
  13. myksterx

garrovick

Just thinking about a simple .ISO that could be down loaded and used as a "Live CD/DVD" for a trial. Already have MS-DOS, Windows 3.X, 95, 98SE, XP and Vista. All legit copies...

garrovick, Jul 18, 2009
  14. myksterx

myksterx

yes mate! i dont mind compiling it for you bud.

all my copies are all downloaded !! :p

i think i have 1 original XP and an original vista disk that come with my laptop.. however they never been used, no need to.

ill try get something together, however not just yet as sorting my other laptop out with windows 7 (not tried it yet, fancy trying it out)

MIKE

myksterx, Jul 18, 2009
Ask a Question