Right USB slots not working but Left one does.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by razcalk, Sep 22, 2008.

1. razcalk

razcalk

As the title says. The right USB slots don't work when i put in a usb-drive. It causes the system to freeze everytime. When i try too boot from the right usb slots during the boot-up and through the f12 boot menu, it doesn't show up. The left side however is perfect. Whats also weird is that i have a usb mouse that works fine when i plug it in the right side usb. but no usb-drive works on the right.

What gives?

razcalk, Sep 22, 2008
  2. razcalk

echorey

I just posted this reply to the "Random loose screw in my AOA". I saw that log before I saw this one but I believe it's related. Here's the situation I encountered;

I have just experienced a similar problem with a loose screw. Just received an AOA150-1049 160GB 6 cell black AAO. Worked fine for 3 days, then I picked up and heard a rattling noise, sounded like a screw internally loose. Giggled the unit and first thought maybe it was the WLAN switch but it was not. This screw must have logeded itself by the right side 2 USB ports because within seconds I had a window pop up saying "USB Hub Power surge". XP shutdown power to the right 2 USB ports. Left port worked and so does the SD slots. This continue for 3 days - no right 2 USB ports working. I then decided to to shake lightly the AOOA and the screw became loose agin but then appeared to get logeded somewhere else in the case. But now both right USB ports work. All the hardware is currently working. I hate to open the case to find this screw. I guess I'll wait until it becomes loose again and in the mean time investigate how to open the case for access. Sounds like if may be the silver screw as described in the previous log that holds the HD cover. Time will tell. Anyone else experience this?

echorey, Oct 22, 2008
  3. razcalk

adrianaitken

echorey - if the screw touches important parts of the motherboard it'll be more than the USB ports not working.

adrianaitken, Oct 23, 2008
Ask a Question