Restoring to original state -- familiar theme

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by PerspireOne, May 23, 2009.

1. PerspireOne

PerspireOne

Bought my Aspire One two days ago and may want to replace it with the soon to be available 751h which I only learned about when searching the web for a solution to creating a down-to-the-ground as shipped from the factory restoration/recovery disk. I have a portable USB 500 G hard drive which this little devils reads/writes with no problem. But there seems no way to get the recording process activated without bunches of blank CDs or a couple of DVDs. And to further irritate me Every time I turn on the machine I get a pop-up telling me to make the disk!

Yesterday I emailed tech support and they astonishingly unhelpful:

"Thank you for contacting Acer America. I’ll be happy to assist you with the back up disk issue.

As per our records the product is under warranty and is registered.

For resolving the issue you would have to purchase a CD/DVD drive.

The service request number is 1-4U0XCL."

Respectfully,
    Acer America
    Online Technical Support"[/i][/i]

Is anyone out there smarter than this rep. How can I get that image onto my HD platter? And if I can't, how can I banish that damned reminder pop-up.

PerspireOne, May 23, 2009
  2. PerspireOne

AOD150BLACK

All I can help you with is getting rid of the pesky reminder.

Got to Start>Run and type in MSCONFIG and press OK.

In the window that pops up, there is a Startup tab, select it then scroll down to near the bottom and you will see Notification Launcher. Uncheck the box next to it .

(while your at it, you can uncheck most boxes, anything you don't need running at startup such as Adobe, Java, and a myriad of other things, remove them to speed up your computer).

Press OK, then select to restart your computer.

When your computer restarts, there will be a popup telling you the configuration utility as been used (MSCONFIG), check the box telling it not to bother you again, and click on OK, and you're done. No more irritating reminders!

For storing the recovery image on an external hard drive, I'm pretty sure you need to use some form of ISO or Clone software.

AOD150BLACK, May 23, 2009
  3. PerspireOne

rusty

If you simply are wanting to restore to factory settings, use the hidden partition on the Acer. I have a D150 and can access the restore easily. The procedure is explained in the Aspire Manual. To create a back up copy of the restore partition you will need an external burner.

rusty, May 23, 2009
  4. PerspireOne

Plastikman

You will beed some sort of USB DVD.CD burner to make the disks. or... a cheap adapter to plug in a desktop burner.

The other option is to disable the popup as stated and call acer support and tell them you need the recovery CD's. they will mail you for free the factory DVD's that the program makes. Many people have complained that the recovery option crashes and locks up the D150 if You dont have the cd made.

You can use this as leverage with tech support to get them for free. I mentioned this and they sent me out a set at no cost. it took about a week.

Plastikman, Jun 1, 2009
Ask a Question