Reset Admin Password

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jollygrizzly, Apr 7, 2009.

1. jollygrizzly

jollygrizzly

Hi,

My wife set up my son's Acer Aspire One for Christmas. The OS is Linpus Lite. Everything works great. I took it on holiday with me as it's lite and easy to use. I wanted to install some software but I was confronted with a window asking for the root password. I have tried all the suggestions my wife gave me, 111111, but no joy. My wife said she's pretty sure there wasn't a password needed when she installed the OS.

Can anyone suggest how I might reset the password please.

S

jollygrizzly, Apr 7, 2009
  2. jollygrizzly

clawmvp

on ubuntu the root account it`s disabled by default, to enable it u must type:
    "sudo passwd root" and type a new password u did`n tell what linux version do u have, maybe someone will give u better response if this will not work.
    bye

clawmvp, Apr 7, 2009
  3. jollygrizzly

jollygrizzly

That did the trick. Brilliant! My version of linux is Linpus Lite. I was checking a load of other threads and forums and they pointed towards reseting the Bios Password. This was so much simpler. Here's what I did:

I accessed the Terminal by opening the Settings > File Manager. Then clicked file> Terminal. Inputed the following code:

sudo passwd root

Typed out a new password and retyped it to verify (It didn't like dictionary words so I did it again).

Hey Presto it worked. I was able to install software after that. :D

jollygrizzly, Apr 7, 2009
  4. jollygrizzly

clawmvp

i`m glat it worked ;)

clawmvp, Apr 10, 2009
  5. jollygrizzly

sunster

Hi, I'm having a similar issue, but can't figure the next step. I followed the previous instruction - creating a root password, but when I go to the login screen I get...

'the system administrator is not allowed to login from this screen'

I'm using ubuntu netbook remix by the way.

All I need to do is blacklist a command to get my wifi working again, but the computer keeps telling me I don't have the correct permissions. Please help, I'm a newbie to all this.

sunster, May 17, 2009
Ask a Question