Report: US Government will require drone owners to register

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

So what do you guys think of this? I think its great they have come up with this, I already thought those drones could be used for more obscure purposes, so I think it's great the owners will have to register!

''The days of largely unregulated hobbyist drone flights in the United States seem to be quickly coming to an end. NBC News reported Friday evening that the US Government will soon require all drone buyers to register their new toy—just as you would register your car with your state’s DMV (though hopefully, without the lines).

According to NBC, the Government will “[require] anyone buying a drone to register the device with the U.S. Department of Transportation.” According to the report, the Government will work with drone makers to set up a registration system that could be in place by Christmas.

The report is unclear whether existing owners would need to register along with those purchasing new drones, but we may not have to wait long to find out—NBC News says the Government plans to announce its proposal on Monday.

The new regulations, NBC says, are in response to several incidents in which drones interfered with the flight of other aircraft.

Over the summer, as PBS reported at the time, hobbyists flying a drones hampered efforts by firefighters to quell multiple wildfires in Southern California. The NBC report also highlights multiple instances where drones got too close to commercial aircraft. The proposed regulations seem to be a step toward addressing these sorts of run-ins.''

Sefie, Oct 18, 2015
  2. Sefie

thess

I'm not exactly sure why. Seems like a slight invasion of privacy. It's kind of odd.

thess, Nov 7, 2015
  3. Sefie

IcyBC

If they are interfering with aircraft or causing havoc then I think the owners should be responsible for their action. Thus, having them registered wouldn't be such a bad idea.

IcyBC, Nov 12, 2015
Ask a Question