Replacing BIOS chip

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Dareios, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Dareios

Dareios

For almost a year I am the owner of an Aspire One 150-bb. Until a few days ago I was very happy with this device and generally ignored negative comments on it. But then after I shut it down and wanted to reboot it in the morning, I now understand the critics. The netbook booted until the windows logo and then out of the sudden died. I tried and tried again, but always the same. Then I read about a bios update. I tried this, but - I do not know what happened - crashed it and now the screen is blank, nothing there. I read afterwards of a bios recovery and proceeded that way. I tried and tried, but my USB was never accepted (also with different formations and bios versions).

Since I didn't want to loose some of the data on it, I opened it [I have some experience with opening computers.], and extracted the HDD. So, at least, I can access my files now. I tried to pull the cmos battery and put it back some time after, but after putting the device together again, the same: black screen, a blinking power led and a non-blinking USB.

Now I want to order a new bios chip and try this method. But unfortunately I can't find it on the motherboard. There is only a round socket in the vicinity of the cmos battery, but where is the bios chip?

I found on http://www.itgrl.de/?tag=open the following photo:

http://www.itgrl.de/wp-content/uploads/ ... 009259.jpg

I am grateful for every help I can get.
    D.

Dareios, Dec 20, 2009
  2. Dareios

judeh101

if it's almost a year, get it fixed by Acer! Get it fixed while it's still covered under warranty! :D

judeh101, Dec 20, 2009
  3. Dareios

Dareios

I don't think that a warranty still covers my case since I opened it and tried to recover the HDD. I "simply" want to know where the bios chip is on the motherboard. There should be one.
    D.

Dareios, Dec 20, 2009
  4. Dareios

judeh101

it's located near the hard drive location. you should be able to see it :p it's somewhere along the edges

judeh101, Dec 23, 2009
  5. Dareios

mike276

Hi Dareios,
    I sent mine in for warranty repair and I had upgraded my memory and added a wireless N card. They repaired it and sent it back to me in a matter of days. I couldn't believe it. The issue you describe seems to be almost universal. I don't know why they haven't done a recall, but I don't think you'll have a problem.
    Mike

mike276, Jan 17, 2010
  6. Dareios

MrQuincy

I know this is old but I was having trouble seeing this chip too and thought maybe someone will benefit from this information:

-Hold the main board with the memory DIMM and CPU/heatsink facing up. Orient the board so that the VGA, ethernet, USB and SD reader are facing your belly.
    -Look north of the memory DIMM socket, at the very top of the main board you should see "Hole 17" silk screened on the board.
    -Turn the board over, the "Hole 17" silkscreen is almost directly on the other side of the BIOS chip (like a "Hole 17"/mainboard/BIOS chip sandwich...yum yum). The BIOS chip has the following text printed on it:

MX-15G
    25L8005M2C
    2Y160600
    TAIWAN
    a083214

Holey moley I wish I had a magnifying glass right now, haha.

MrQuincy, Apr 10, 2010
  7. Dareios

Amagewick

Mine did this, and I think your mistake was trying to flash the bios at that time. My fan died on the cooler and the computer would automatically shutoff because it did not sense the fan spinning. I am guessing this happened to you, and then it shut off while in the middle of the bios update?

There is a recovery method for the bios... if you can get the fan working again (easy). If your fan is working fine then I have no idea lol.

Amagewick, Aug 19, 2010
Ask a Question