removing linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lottie, Dec 26, 2008.

1. lottie

lottie

Can anyone help I am trying to find a internet security package for linux. If not is it possible to remove linux and install windows xp

lottie, Dec 26, 2008
  2. lottie

daldred

Linux is designed to be secure by default. You don't need a load of security add-ons to slow down your computer. If you are addicted to the virus/malware ridden life, and having to install extras to do something as basic as security, by all means revert to Windows, but life is generally better without all that junk.

daldred, Dec 26, 2008
  3. lottie

charlie01

http://www.brothersoft.com/downloads/avg-linux.html
    Ive allways been told that linux doesnt need as much protection because its a more secure operating system.
    Im running Linpus on my AA1 and LinuxMint on my laptop with no antivirus on either.

I dont think it would be a bad thing to put on your system because there are some known Linux viruses,,But very few compared to Windows.Id bet if you took a poll here on who uses anti virus and who doesnt on there Linux operating systems,,Im betting very few do.

charlie01, Dec 26, 2008
  4. lottie

meng

I've used Linux exclusively at home for the last 4 years and I've never bothered with anti-malware programs. Theoretically, you might need such programs to protect other computers on the same home network that are running Windows, but even then, I think that's overkill.

meng, Dec 26, 2008
  5. lottie

okydoky

So at a very basic level - if I am doing things like on-line banking, buying using debit cards, and inputting other sensitive information, do I need any special security software or not??

okydoky, Jan 3, 2009
  6. lottie

Rapax

Not really, all those things should run over encrypted connections anyway. So the only thing remaining to be afraid of is locally running malware (keyloggers etc.). It's exceedingly rare to have anything like that infest a Linux system.

Rapax, Jan 3, 2009
  7. lottie

JimK

No, but you should use common sense. Don't store banking passwords or credit card numbers in your browser. Also, don't store credit card numbers on vendors' web sites (like Amazon one-click). Don't use unsecured networks. Make sure any web page that you enter personal information on is encrypted. Don't respond to emails that claim to be from your bank requesting you to verify account numbers, PINs, etc. You get the idea. And check if your bank can issue you one-time credit card numbers for online purchases. Also, it doesn't hurt to report your credit/debit cards lost or stolen every now and then so you get new account numbers.

But Linux is plenty secure. Viruses and trojans really aren't an issue. Most distros have built-in firewalls. Many allow you to set your security to a level that you're comfortable with, ranging from plain-old secure to downright paranoid. You can even encrypt your system to a level where it would take the world's best spy agencies years to crack it.

JimK, Jan 3, 2009
Ask a Question