Removed battery and it turned on!!

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by korusa, Jun 7, 2016.

1. korusa

korusa

Last night, when I tried to turn on my laptop, it didn't work. So, I searched on the internet and one suggestion was to remove the battery and try powering it up. I removed the battery and voila!, it worked! Now I'm curious why removing the battery allowed my laptop to power up (plugged in with the power cord of course) when it wouldn't with the battery in place. Any insight on this?

korusa, Jun 7, 2016
  2. korusa

Novelangel

Well, for one thing, plugging in your laptop while the battery is in place and leaving it that way too long, causes the battery to overcharge, which shortens its life. If you routinely do this, (I've been guilty in the past, myself) you may need to buy a new battery and start over. Another thing that I researched, is factory resetting. If you remove your battery and then turn on the laptop without plugging it in, the old 'juice' will get discharged from the computer and it may (this is controversial as to whether it actually works or not) return to the factory settings. I've never tried it for myself so I have no anecdotes on that, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Novelangel, Jun 9, 2016
  3. korusa

IcyBC

That is interesting to know, and the only thing I could think off is that maybe the battery was out of juice, and it might take a while for the laptop to turn on if you have it plugged in?

Glad you found the answer for it though! I would be in a mess if my laptop won't turn on.

IcyBC, Jun 9, 2016
  4. korusa

fcuco

I've never heard of something like that before, an actual battery that's preventing your computer to boot? Something very wrong muts be going on with that battery because even if it were completely dead this will not prevent you from booting as far as I know. I strongly suggest you stop using that battery and if you are going to get rid of it please do it properly (You can't simply throw lithium batteries into the garbage can). While you are at it, make sure you backup all your files from that particular computer because this sounds very odd and weird and it could be a symptom of something else going on. Better be safe than sorry.

fcuco, Jun 12, 2016
  5. korusa

SirJoe

The capacitor have to drain completely for this to work. If the battery is still attached it will carry on charging them. Once the capacitors are drained, the error that caused the malfunction of your computer will be reset.

SirJoe, Jun 12, 2016
  6. korusa

Corzhens

My only suspicion is the casing of the battery. I remember having a cellphone with that problem in the olden days. When the phone wouldn't work, I would remove the battery and inset it again. It will run but not consistent because sometimes I have to re-insert several times. My husband said that the casing is ill-fitting already or the contact point of the phone and the battery may be dirty. And then I saw some friends with a phone being wrapped in a rubber band because of the loose battery.

Just food for thought, it may be the case with your laptop's battery.

Corzhens, Jun 13, 2016
  7. korusa

vinaya

Sometimes when there is start up problem with my laptop, I do this trick to boot my laptop. usually I encounter start up problem when I switch between the batteries (I have one spare battery), or the laptop is too much heated (there is a problem with my laptop's fan)

vinaya, Jun 13, 2016
  8. korusa

obliviousme

This is interesting, I've never thought of trying this. Lately I'm having trouble of recharging my laptop because at times, my laptop wouldn't recognize the charger, so I'm worried that i might have to purchase a new charger. Although it's working now, it still an issue at times. What i normally do is i just turned off my laptop and leave it off for a few minutes and then i hook up the charger then it would work. I might have to try removing the battery altogether if my laptop dies on me one of these days.

obliviousme, Jul 19, 2016
Ask a Question