Remote Networking

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by gyandharm, Sep 30, 2008.

1. gyandharm

gyandharm

I am considering purchasing a Linux powered AsireOne as I need to remote network to a Terminal Server running Windows 2003.

This is not for VNC. I need to view the desktop on the server and run software there remotely.

I have been given instructions to install rdesktop to do this.

Has anyone experience of using their AspireOne in this way from LinuxLite?

Gyandharm

gyandharm, Sep 30, 2008
  2. gyandharm

rbil

I haven't used rdesktop with a Windows server, but I used to use rdesktop from my Ubuntu box to access a XP workstation. I imagine, it's pretty much the same. Here's a page that although for not that version of Windows server, might be all you need to know to run the rdesktop command to access your server:

http://www.netadmintools.com/art237.html

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 30, 2008
  3. gyandharm

gyandharm

Thanks for that immediate response.

Almost convinced.

I am not familiar with Linux. When I tried to use rdesktop with Ubuntu I found I got a partial screen view and I could find no way of scrolling to access the Windows Task Bar.

I did find two wee useful key strokes that solved this problem. These were using the Windows key to get a full screen view of the Terminal Server and to use Ctrl Alt Enter to toggle between the local machine and the Terminal Server.

I would like to be reassured that this is possible on the smaller AspireOne screen. Is there a Windows key on the Linus AspireOne machine? Or is there another way of switching to a full screen view? How can I scroll the displayed screen of the Terminal Server? I assume using Ctrl Alt Enter toggle works in the same way.

gyandharm, Oct 1, 2008
  4. gyandharm

Veazer

Not 100% related to your posts, but i just discovered this patch that let's you use multiple sessions on XP, essentially changing remote desktop to be like terminal services.

http://www.kood.org/terminal-server-patch/

It's been very handy for me.

Veazer, Oct 10, 2008
  5. gyandharm

protovision

fwiw, I bought the A110, Linux model, 512MB, 8GB SSD.

I upgraded to 1.5GB, and installed my nLite-slimmed version of Windows XP on it, which I had slipstreamed the AA1 windows drivers into. Works great, and I can use Remote Desktop to get to any of my other Winboxen on my network. Linux 'home' key acts as 'Windows' key.

I typically connect to the other servers @ full screen, and they nicely resize/display their desktop @ 1024x600 on the AA1.

protovision, Oct 10, 2008
  6. gyandharm

gyandharm

Well I bought Aspire 110 with Linux Lite. I installed rdesktop and have fully functional access to the Terminal Server running Windows Server 2003 at my workplace. I need to toggle CTRL-ALT-ENTER to get screen to fit.
    I got details below from Linpus about how to set this up from Terminal Screen:
    Steps:

1. Press "alt+F2" keys and type "terminal" to open up a terminal mode

2. Type "sudo yum install rdesktop" to install the software

3. At terminal mode, type "rdesktop" to display the help screen for reference.

I then launched redesktop from terminal mode adding the IP address to get to the server log on.

I then have full access to Windows software installed on the server.

gyandharm, Oct 17, 2008
Ask a Question