Reinstalling XP -- Creating USB Key

Discussion in 'Windows' started by tcatsninfan, Apr 6, 2009.

1. tcatsninfan

tcatsninfan

I bought an Aspire One with the 8GB SSD from someone a couple of weeks ago. The guy has a lot of crap installed and I'd much rather just reinstall XP than worry about not catching something.

I can't seem to get the USB key made, though. I downloaded a utility called USB Multiboot that's supposed to create the USB key for me, but there's just one problem: I can't find the I386 folder on the XP CD. I don't know much about creating USB keys and all that but from what I've read I've got to have that folder. The program says the path is invalid or something when I tell it to look on the XP CD for the necessary files.

This is definitely a legitimate CD that came with the Aspire One...it's a white disc, it has the Aspire One text on it, and at the bottom it says "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP3". However, the only folders that appear on the CD are labeled IMAGES and MSDRV. I can't locate the I386 folder, not to mention any .exe files for installing XP.

So my question is, how do I create a USB key to reinstall XP? Can I use the CD that's been supplied or is this unusable for some reason? I'd just like to be able to reinstall Windows...

Also, FWIW, it looks like the guy deleted the Acer eRecovery partition that was on the SSD (if it was ever there before). I don't know if that comes with all Acers, but I know if it was there before it definitely isn't there now.

tcatsninfan, Apr 6, 2009
  2. tcatsninfan

clawmvp

i`l make u a image from my bootable usb stick if u want it`s win xp sp2 clean no tweaks no nothing, u will have to write the image to your stick with acronis true image and u`l have to use a cd key for the installation :)
    reply if interested.
    ps: method used by me :
    http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=6 ... pic=120444
    it`s a lil bit simple then usb multiboot.

clawmvp, Apr 6, 2009
  3. tcatsninfan

Aspiration

I read that CD keys only work on certain versions of XP. So if your cd key came from a similar version of xp it should work.

Aspiration, Aug 1, 2009
Ask a Question