Regarding Thinkpad W530

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by Bodhi, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Bodhi

Bodhi

My Thinkpad W530 has developed quite a few issues in the last two years. Despite its stellar performance ever since I bought it in the December 2013, it has developed few software issues as also those of hardware ones. While the hardware ones such as rusting of the USB ports etc are relatively lesser important, the software ones such as Fingerprint sensor's malfunction etc require due attention.

Now, the 'After Sales' for out of warranty Thinkpad products is scary in India since the larger chunk of the technicians remains unskilled to handle Thinkpad products.

As such, what might be the best possible way out without taking my machine to the service centre and remaining scared about the well being of it until it reaches me again?

Please note, I have already tried downloading the latest relevant software applications for W530 from Lenovo's website, and yet the problems in my machine remains unsolved.

Bodhi, Aug 19, 2018
  2. Bodhi

something back

Welcome to the laptop forums site

What version of windows have you, WHAT PROBLEMS ARE YOU EXPERIENCING.

something back, Aug 19, 2018
  3. Bodhi

Bodhi

Thanks for the welcome message.

My original version was Win 7, which originally came to me at the time of delivery. Afterward, I upgraded it to Win 10.

Regarding the problems,
    A) Fingerprint sensor not working,
    B) The Bluetooth abruptly ceases working without any indication, and then resumes working,
    C) Booting up requires at least ten minutes on an average,
    D) The device gets hung-up for around 20 minutes every now and then,
    E) The device gets restarted every now and then,
    F) While booting up, the device sometimes restarts automatically,
    G) The device runs very slowly, as opening up any new application requires at least 05 minutes,
    H) Since last 01 month, the colour calibrator too is failing whenever being run by closing the top lid,
    I) Since this evening, whenever run, the device is not getting automatically updated from Lenovo website, as the error message displays a systemic error.

Attached Files:

Bodhi, Aug 19, 2018
  4. Bodhi

something back

Sound like fun!!

Lets take one step at a time, most of your problems seems to be driver problems

After updating your drivers, lets see what problems remain

Download this program it will help find the correct driver files.

Its called snaildriver

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/snaildriver.html

Bodhi likes this.
  5. Bodhi

something back

If all fails you can always restart a fresh , windows 10 allows you to reset your laptop/pc,

although it's quite simple to do.

All you need to do is type reset in the bottom search area, then follow the on screen instructions.

The two choices are keep your programs and personal files then reinstall windows.

Second choice remove all programs and reinstall windows.

NOTE: you can lose some of your personal software along the way,so back up your system.

Bodhi likes this.
  6. Bodhi

Bodhi

Thanks for taking an active interest, which is very rare in solving my problem.

Let me start with the snaildriver, and if that too fails I then might start considering the option of reset.

And, yeah, apology for the delayed revert.

Bodhi, Aug 20, 2018
  7. Bodhi

Bodhi

Have a look at the screenshot attached here and let me suggest if there remains any other way or I might have to choose the option of 'reset'.

Attached Files:

Bodhi, Aug 21, 2018
  8. Bodhi

something back

Hi

TRY THIS FIRST:

You could try another program it's called driver booster it works in the same way as snaildriver.

https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

The other way is to uninstall all of the driver files one by one in the device managers section.

To do this go to the windows icon at the bottom, then right click on it ,go to the device manager
    section click on it.

You will see many sections, you will need to click on each section, then right click on each listed items.

You need to click on the uninstall device, to uninstall each file in that individual section.

“Only do this one section at a time” after each section uninstall restart your computer,your computer will try fix each section at a time.

It look like you have major problems,it's only a thought but you may have as faulty hard drive.

something back, Aug 22, 2018
    Bodhi likes this.
  9. Bodhi

Bodhi

Well, that would be slightly time taking affair, as it sounds. I shall reach you after a couple of days, then.

Bodhi, Aug 22, 2018
  10. Bodhi

Bodhi

Hello, quite unsure what did the snaildriver not do or what precisely the Driver Booster did, however, more of the problems that I reported are not noticed for the time being, at least.

However, I am not fully sure whether all the problems have disappeared. They are not showing up at least for the time being, this much can be said.

And, yeah, the Fingerprint sensor is still not working.

So, shall I now try to replace the hardware device of the Fingerprint sensor?

Also, the Driver Booster pro version is appearing to bear a cost of US$25.00.

Is it worth it? Shall I go for it?

Bodhi, Aug 23, 2018
  11. Bodhi

something back

Well done!!

It ok to carry on with the free version of drive booster just run it every month,the pro version will not be of much benefit to you.

So it's not cost anything yet, not bad.

With regard to the problem with fingerprint censor, you could try and see if it's listed in the "device manager" section,it should be listed in the universal serial bus controllers section,
    Also uninstall the drivers in the “human interface devices” section

You will have to uninstall all of the drivers in this section, then restart your laptop.

It's going to be a software problem

I have instructed you on how to achieve this.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    something back, Aug 23, 2018
    Bodhi likes this.
  12. Bodhi

Bodhi

Hello,
    Regarding the DB pro, well, it was saying that an upgraded version might take care the still pending stuff (I belive, 06 drivers still require further notice, according to its claim). Hence, I felt that upgrading might offer me a foolproof solution without going into the procedure, which you mentioned in the last message.

Yes, you quite lucidly described the measures I need to take in the Device Manager while addressing the software concerns.

So, let me return to you in the first half of the next week.

Thanks again for the continued assistance. :)

Bodhi, Aug 23, 2018
  13. Bodhi

something back

I have used the paid for version, and don't think the paid for version will resolve your problem.

Some hardware uses the plug, and play system , to explain, the hardware itself has inbuilt software,which can get confused.

The other way that's “not available” to you is to disconnect the hardware item then restart the machine this would delete the plug and play software, the last step would be to reconnect the hardware and restart solving the problem.

My advice therefore is twofold, the universal serial bus controllers section can be one point that this type of software resides.

The other place the “human interface devices” section can also contain some software if it's normal software that's been installed, in the normal way from a disk or a download.

Given I cannot see the machine I can only estimate the problems.

something back, Aug 23, 2018
    Bodhi likes this.
  14. Bodhi

Bodhi

Hello again,
    And the update on my end after almost ten days gap is that

A) I have been able to do a factory reset of W530 after
    01) backing up of my entire content and 02) creating a Win 10 recovery drive.

B) Upon the installation, I ran Driver Booster and unsure if I still require any other driver of software from Lenovo website.

C) Regarding the problems I have been facing,
    01) Fingerprint sensor is still not working, and upon following the procedure you advised pertaining to 'Device Management', I failed to solve the issue.

What should be the way forward, now?

02) The Bluetooth is working perfectly,

03) Booting up speed has increased significantly,

D) The device getting hung-up has not been there since last thirty-six hours upon completion of the reset,

E) The device did not restart too ever since the completion of the restart,

F) Restarting while booting up, too, is not there ever since the reset,

G) The device running speed has increased. Speed of opening of software applications too is not fully examined till now. As of now, 90% of my required software applications have not been installed till now, and my observation is based on that.

H) The colour calibrator has not shown up yet. Hence, I am unsure about its ability to run smoothly.

I) Automatic update from Lenovo website is working perfectly alright.

So, that is it.

Throughout the day, today, I would be restoring my data and reinstalling the necessary software applications.

The aftereffect would then be more noticeable.

Bodhi, Sep 2, 2018
  15. Bodhi

something back

If I have understood your only problem now is the fingerprint function not working.

You probably need to go to the Lenovo website, and download the fingerprint drivers

First you will need to check if your using 64bit or 32bit windows 10 system,to do this,right click on the window icon,choose system,then click on "about" it will tell you there.

It's very important to get the right driver software.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2018
    something back, Sep 2, 2018
  16. Bodhi

Bodhi

Hello,
    Have a look at the attached screenshot, here, and let me know the way forward.

Also, let me know if I need to use another thread in seeking assistance on my laptop HDD partition, upgrading and substitution.

Attached Files:

Bodhi, Sep 8, 2018
  17. Bodhi

something back

Try this link

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds103635

Regarding your hdd what are you thinking of doing?

Can I ask what country are you from

something back, Sep 8, 2018
  18. Bodhi

Bodhi

Again, let me start with a due apology for such an inordinate delay in revert.

The URL you provided leads to the Lenovo US website, which does not include W530 model, as I could see in the 'Read me' text that I downloaded alongside the executable file.

Regarding HDD, I am seeking various partitions of the total 500 GB existing HDD.

Right now, it has no partition and that over the time leads I to an almost full HDD.

However, whenever I am trying to achieve this through the 'Disk Management', the C: fails to reduce itself beyond 350 GB.

My plan was to have a partition of C:=100 GB, D:=20GB, E:=25 GB and E:=355 GB.

Bodhi, Sep 20, 2018
  19. Bodhi

Bodhi

Oh ye, I am from India.

Bodhi, Sep 20, 2018
  20. Bodhi

something back

IT'S NICE TO KNOW WHERE MEMBERS ARE FROM.

Sorry I can not help you further with the driver file.

One of the best free partition tools is “mini tool partition wizard free”
    it will help you resize your hard drive.

It's easy to use.

Be careful when installing mini tool partition wizard, “avoid the additional software” it wants to install.

Read each step, and “untick” install opera browser.

Here's the link:

https://www.minitool.com/download-center/

something back, Sep 20, 2018
Ask a Question