Reflective or non-reflective screens?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by victionicious, Mar 16, 2016.

1. victionicious

victionicious

What's your stance when it comes to matte vs reflective screens? 80% of laptops I come across these days tend to have reflective screens, making it harder to buy laptops with matte screens, but I have an absolute love for non-reflective displays.

I might not do work outside, but I find them much, much less of a strain on my eyes. I've seen 'matte covers' for reflective screens but I honestly don't know how if they're worthwhile. Does anybody have any experience with those? Would love to hear some opinions on this.

victionicious, Mar 16, 2016
  2. victionicious

Krissttina Isobe

I like laptops with non reflective screens too. We have to protect our eyes as much as we can, so I choose the non-reflective type of screens. What really helps is just to position the screen at an angle that is right when you're outside so you can see the screen really sharply. Everyone is at a different height, so moving your screen to your comfort zone for easy use and good viewing is essential and makes it easier to see your screen all the time. I use a library internet computers and all the time adjusting the screen to my height is important to see good.

Krissttina Isobe, Apr 30, 2016
  3. victionicious

acer93

I do own a reflective-screen laptop and was quite all right with it so far, of course annoying at sunlight but what can you do, right? But my flatmate owns a matte screen lenovo and using her laptop is like all of my dreams coming true.

I would totally buy a laptop with matte screen the next time I am choosing one.

acer93, Apr 30, 2016
  4. victionicious

SirJoe

I find that matte screens put more of a strain on my eyes than reflective screens do. I do lower the brightness of the screen so I don't get that strong glare. The colors tend to be richer and they tend to be less confusing to my eyes.

SirJoe, May 2, 2016
  5. victionicious

OursIsTheFury

Reflective screens do tend to hurt me in the eyes more, and I'm already wearing glasses. But when that happens, I just move to a spot where sunlight isn't getting reflected on the screen. I mean, the best part of a laptop is that you can bring it anywhere, as it is a mobile version of the otherwise incredibly heavy PC. That's why people get laptops, so they have the mobility that it offers, which you can't say for the PC. When my PC monitor gets hit by the sunlight though, there's really nothing I could do but close the curtains and just wait until an hour or so when the sun is in a different angle and I can work in peace again.

OursIsTheFury, May 7, 2016
  6. victionicious

Lisa Davis

I also love non-reflective screens. One of my first laptops I bought I got a custom non-reflective screen on. It was recommended to me by the salesperson because I work from home and spend a lot of time in front of the screen. I also suffer from migraines and sometimes I have to work despite having them. The non-reflective screen is so much more gentle on my eyes than the reflective ones. However, it is harder to find the matte screens and when you custom order laptops it seems like they charge you more for this option. I think it is well worth the price though.

Lisa Davis, May 11, 2016
Ask a Question