Recovery Hangs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by kieranunited90, May 20, 2011.

1. kieranunited90

kieranunited90

Hi all, I'm a complete novice so please go easy on me!
    I got my brothers aspire one AOA 110-ab. I attempted to update firefox, firefox then stopped working so I attempted to uninstall + reinstall it. Then my desktop disappeared, I got a message saying I needed a file manager like Thunar. I presume the file manager somehow got deleted. Anyway I tried to make a bootable USB from the DVD to recover it as I don't have an external dvd player. When I boot from the cd and choose to create a bootable recovery usb I then get a screen with an acer logo and a loading bar which fails to even start to load. The cd then stops spinning in the drive after about 30 secs. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

Kieran.

kieranunited90, May 20, 2011
  2. kieranunited90

JimK

Hi kieranunited90. The same thing happened with my DVD, even after successfully creating recovery USBs before.

Sorry I don't know what causes it or how to fix it. You could try using a different computer to create the USB boot disk. Or you might have to borrow an external USB player from somebody if you can find one. If you do manage to recover, here are instructions for updating Firefox: http://macles.blogspot.com/2011/04/installing-firefox-4-on-acer-aspire-one.html.

But one thing you should keep in mind is that the Linpus OS on that recovery DVD is very outdated and apparently is no longer supported by Acer, which means it could be unsafe to use if they're no longer providing security updates.

I suggest using a newer operating system. Many people on this forum successfully run Ubuntu, but if your machine only has 512 MB of RAM you might have better luck with Lubuntu, a lighter version of Ubuntu. Other people use Joli OS, Mint, Fedora or other flavors of Linux. Installing them is fairly simple: download Unetbootin and use that to create a bootable USB stick. I'm using Meego, which is designed for netbooks, but Unetbootin won't work with it. You'll have to follow the instructions on their website at https://meego.com/downloads/releases/1.2/meego-v1.2-netbooks.

Browse the forums here and you'll find a lot of helpful information.

JimK, May 20, 2011
Ask a Question