recovery disk won't format my computer

Discussion in 'Windows' started by cecilech, Sep 15, 2009.

1. cecilech

cecilech

Hi;

I purchased the recovery disks for my Aspire One A150 from Acer.

I put the system disk in and booted from it - all went well and it asked for recovery disk. Put it in, selected English and then it said it was going to format the hard drive - I said okay. Then I got the following error: Oxf0000051 and it said the format failed - restart the computer.

Now, I shold explain that the reason for all this is that my grandson installed Linux on it without my knowledge and I don't know anything about Linux. I posted a message and the answer was to use the recovery disks to take it back to windows XP.

so.... on that note, when I start the computer now, all it says is the word grub> and I haven't got a clue what to do.

If anyone out there can help me get the recovery disks to work I would be truly thankful as I just borrowed this computer to post this and am at a loss how to get it to work.

Thanks in advance
    sincerely
    cecile

cecilech, Sep 15, 2009
  2. cecilech

kcadotte

When linux is installed on a computer it formats the hard drive using a different file format than windows, and the restore disks don't recognize it.

You need to reformat the harddrive with a 3rd party program in order to get linux formatting cleared out so that the restore disks will be able to see the hard drive.

Hope this helps.

kcadotte, Sep 20, 2009
Ask a Question