Recommendation place to purchase 9 cell battery in UK

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by madwoolything, Jan 17, 2010.

1. madwoolything

madwoolything

I'd like to purchase a 9 cell battery for my AOA110 from somewhere in the UK.

Can anyone recommend a reputable supplier that is offering a good price and reasonable guarantee (2 or 3 years)?

Thanks

madwoolything, Jan 17, 2010
  2. madwoolything

melhiore

Nobody will give you 2-3 years for battery - it's just impossible. Battery will die probably in 3 years... Apart from that e-bay - the only source of good stuff...

melhiore, Jan 17, 2010
  3. madwoolything

joe_news

joe_news, Jan 23, 2010
  4. madwoolything

Andysan

Anybody actually bought any of these please - are they made to the same quality as the Acer batteries? Cheers.

Andysan, Jan 23, 2010
  5. madwoolything

joe_news

I just purchased one, but its being shipped to me. If you want to wait [will not ship til Monday] ill give you my 3-cents :D

joe_news, Jan 23, 2010
  6. madwoolything

Andysan

Cheers joe, much obliged!

Andysan, Jan 23, 2010
  7. madwoolything

joe_news

Sorry for the LATE reply, I got the battery last Wednesday and its been awesome! Yes, it's comically huge on such a small laptop, and does tilt it, but the usability you get from it makes it so totally worth the knock to portability [my case, a re-purposed portable DVD player case, BARELY fits now] however, I can now use my laptop basically as often as I need/want all day on campus. Which is often since I am there usually over 12 hrs, and I'm on it a lot. I've not clocked the battery truly because its totally based on what your doing. I put my laptop into all the low power modes and I'm running Windows 7, when its starting it says ill get 6-7 hrs, but after everything loads and settles, and im just using firefox it will go up to about or over 9 hrs.

I love leaving the power brick at home, which will make it last longer, and not having to pull it out when I need power [and sometimes there are just no outlets around and ill be in a 2-3 hr class, so I love it, don't have to worry about battery ever. I recharge it every night and it's good to go :]

joe_news, Jan 31, 2010
  8. madwoolything

Andysan

Hi Joe,

Cheers for that, appreciate that it was gonna take a while to ship.

Mind if, considering the above I pose a couple of questions please?

1. When you say it tilts the laptop do you mean that its just at a slight angle as the battery lifts the rear up, or that the unit rocks back and forth with the battery in and is unstable?
    2. Any thoughts on quality and whether it has the important safety circuitry etc please?

Cheers,

Andy

Andysan, Feb 1, 2010
  9. madwoolything

kmc

I got something similar from here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Battery-for-A...yZ101247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have had mine three months and also get a good nine hours out of mine. The quality seems on a par with the factory-supplied three-cell item.

There is no getting away from the fact it is a sizeable item. Being sad :D , I weighed it, and it does indeed weigh almost the same as three original batteries. It sticks out both behind and below the original. As you say, this means the back of the netbook is raised, so the keyboard is tilted. There is no instability - it even has some little soft feet.... If you can live with the bit of extra weight, definitely go for it

kmc, Feb 2, 2010
  10. madwoolything

Andysan

Andysan, Feb 2, 2010
  11. madwoolything

joe_news

1) The laptop sits very firm on a level surface, no wobbliness at all.

2) The stock battery was only lasting 1.5 hrs, down from 2.5 the last month I was using it, and I've owned my AAO since Oct '08. Battery quality/safety is important factory, but it's standard to have circuity that shuts the battery down when it malfunctions, so it doesn't explode, which is so rare... think of it like getting a rare cancer, happens, but its rare. Very rare. Of the one or two stories in the news each money, MILLIONS of units that use Li-Ion tech were sold and work fine.

joe_news, Feb 3, 2010
  12. madwoolything

Andysan

Im probably going to order one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/9Cell-Black-Acer- ... 518e364c84

But first could anyone tell me how much the 9 cell sticks out of the bottom of the netbook please, i.e. in centimetres/inches/miles as appropriate. I want to see if I can still fit my AAO in my case.

Cheers.

Andysan, Feb 3, 2010
  13. madwoolything

Darryl

Darryl, Feb 4, 2010
  14. madwoolything

Andysan

Wow - now that would singe your eyebrows if it blew!

Andysan, Feb 4, 2010
  15. madwoolything

Yuravi

I'll share with you my experiences with the 9 cell batteries I bought for the Acer Aspire One netbook.

So far, I have bought 2 and have sent back 1 for a refund.

The 1st one I bought was from eBay (a seller in China) and advertised as 7800mAh, but delivered MUCH lLESS THAN SATISFACTORY performance. Even after several charge and discharge cycles, it performed like a 4400mAh battery :evil: (RightMark CPU Clock Utility confirmed this).

The second one I bought was from dealextreme.com (Hong Kong). It just arrived today. The label on the battery stated 7800mAh but a check with RMClock showed only 6600mAh! :eek: :shock: :evil: . I tried the battery on another Aspire One netbook and RightMark CPU Clock Utility returned 6600mAh also. :evil: :evil: WTF!? I FEEL CHEATED!

Yuravi, Feb 5, 2010
  16. madwoolything

kmc

That's why I paid a bit more and used a reputable UK dealer...

kmc, Feb 6, 2010
  17. madwoolything

TantalusFld

My wife has been buying camera batteries, cell phone, etc. off Ebay and they never last as long as the original batt. did. I think these batteries are old new stock. Batteries being a chemical device have a shelf life. With Ebay you never know, some are good, and many are not.

TantalusFld, Feb 6, 2010
  18. madwoolything

TantalusFld

TantalusFld, Feb 6, 2010
  19. madwoolything

Darryl

Darryl, Feb 7, 2010
  20. madwoolything

Yuravi

Re: RMclock

I used RightMark CPU Clock Utility version 2.35.0
    Theres an option to view 'Battery info'.

I've charged and discharged it (to near empty) 4 times already. Max. capacity stays at 6600mAh. The battery was a 6600 mAh one that was labeled as 7800 mAh. :evil: :evil: Reminds me of the days of remarked CPUs.
    Damn, they've cheated me. And they're taking so long to reply to me. I'm really upset. Not going to be buying from them for a long time.

Yuravi, Feb 10, 2010
Ask a Question