Reboot always causes forced FS check.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by vexer, Dec 4, 2008.

1. vexer

vexer

Every time I reboot, I get a /dev/hdc1 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced. issue.
    I installed Backtrack 3 final onto my Acer Aspire One (8gb SSD version). The drive has ext2 as
    it's filesystem and everytime I figure the issue is that everytime I reboot, when it tries to unmount
    /, it gives me the message that / is busy, tries to remount as read only, only to get / is busy again.

Anyway of fixing this issue?

vexer, Dec 4, 2008
  2. vexer

vexer

After a little thinking, I figured that since the device was busy, it was probably caused by some
    process not dieing properly. I looked at the shutdown manpage and found that if I use
    "shutdown -nr" to reboot, then the drive would remount cleanly after reboot.

Is there a way to see what processes are still alive right before a reboot?

vexer, Dec 4, 2008
  3. vexer

ryanc021

I'm having a similar problem with a new ext3 partition mounted to my system always being busy when I try to shutdown my AAO...

I found this line of code from ubuntu forums and used it to isolate my problem, you'll have to login using 'su -' to use this:
    Code:
    shutdown -P now >> /var/log/shutdown.log 2>&1
    "now" is the time so you could put 1 for 1 minute and so on, "var/log/shutdown.log" is the location of the log.

It'll log the shutdown process, it should help you isolate your problem.
    I haven't of yet found a solution to my "mount: / is busy", most solutions seem to be related to evms that is used by ubuntu distros.
    Hope it Helps.

ryanc021, Dec 11, 2008
  4. vexer

rbil

If you look at the shutdown script:

cat /sbin/shutdown

You'll see that if -r is used (to reboot), then the hidden file /.autofsck is removed when a shutdown is performed. I assume that if anything else is used other than the -r option, this file is not removed and this is forcing a fsck on the next boot. So manually renaming or removing /.autofsck before shutting down, should prevent this from happening. On the next boot however, that hidden file will be created again, I believe. I don't know why Acer is doing it this way, touching a .autofsck everytime the system boots up?

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 12, 2008
Ask a Question