Random Wireless Disconnects

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Serendipity, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Serendipity

Serendipity

Hello.

I got the acer aspire one even after reading it had wireless problems. The wireless problems I read at newegg consisted of wireless card simply dieing. So I got the laptop with a worst case scenario of just replacing the wireless card with a new one. However, I am having a problem I haven't read about the laptop so far. The wireless will randomly disconnect and refuse to connect again until the laptop is either put to sleep and turned back on, or a complete reboot. It may happen with a correlation when there is little internet activity. It seems to happen with a high probability when I close the lid and come back to it later. This may just be because I'm not paying attention to the laptop for a period of time and coming back to it disconnected for whatever random reason. It does also happen randomly when I'm using the laptop, but it seems to happen more when I'm away from it or not paying attention, or the lid is closed. I've had the laptop for two or three weeks and have not been to isolate any real correlation, so it's still random. Hope I've given enough details to help anyone out who may be able to give some advice. I have the 8gb SSD Linpus version.

Serendipity, Sep 24, 2008
  2. Serendipity

Serendipity

Well, its been a couple days and not a single response which leads me to believe that this is a stranger then usual behavior. What I would at least like to get out of this is peoples educated opinions on the probability of replacing the wireless card in it fixing this behavior. It seems to me that this wireless card (as in all AA1's) has had quite a few problems whatever the problem may be and that its just a poor generation of cards or was manufactured too cheaply.

Update: I have more recently noticed that closing the lid of my laptop almost always kills the signal. Could one of the wireless antennas, or by some off chance both be shorted or not connected properly? I really don't want to do surgery until I'm sure I don't have to send this thing in for warranty work for the wireless problem.

Thanks everyone for reading! :- )

Serendipity, Sep 25, 2008
  3. Serendipity

krapivka

I have the same proble.So .. do you think that the problem is cheap, low quality hardware. do yo think that I should go to talk with my local distributor ?
    is it a general problem?

krapivka, Oct 4, 2008
  4. Serendipity

weejock

I have a very similar problem. I'm running the 120gig hard drive version with Linpus, and my connection tends to drop off after approximately an hour or two. This happens regardless of wireless activity - the connection even shuts down when I'm browsing or downloading. It also happens if I've closed the lid and left it for a while.

I've read about some connection issues with the XP version that can be solved by altering power saving settings for the wireless card, but I can't find any way of changing them on my One. Maybe a driver update for the card?

weejock, Oct 5, 2008
  5. Serendipity

JSn1

The problem are your antennas, or the cables are damaged.
    I recommend to take it to the store you purchased it, or, you can fix
    it yourself swapping the Main/Aux cables in the wireless card.

JSn1, Oct 5, 2008
  6. Serendipity

MarsMan

I have the same problem. Sometimes 3 times in one hour.

120GB 1GB DDR XP

My modem is a new one..

MarsMan, Oct 15, 2008
Ask a Question