RAM upgrade worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by picasso, Aug 31, 2008.

1. picasso

picasso

hi,

i use the typical 512mb. can you share your experiences if upgrading to 1,5gb is worth the effort (significant increases in speed)? thx....

picasso, Aug 31, 2008
  2. picasso

janss

To my experience with Linpus and now Xubuntu, I've noticed that it doesn't increase the speed very much (but it will be slightly faster), but more importantly it allows complete disable of SWAP on Linux, which is more important to me with the 8 GB SSD. Ofcourse, the more memory the better is the thumb rule.

janss, Aug 31, 2008
  3. picasso

3earnhardt3

Like said above, the only real + is the ability to disable swap. Even with swap off, I have never seen my AAO use more than ~400mb of memory at any one time. So if you want to keep your warranty and play it safe, you'll most likely be just fine with the stock 512 (in linux, not xp).

3earnhardt3, Aug 31, 2008
  4. picasso

Sid

I agree, but I have got close :)

[​IMG]

Sid, Aug 31, 2008
  5. picasso

3earnhardt3

What in the world do you have loaded into memory that takes up 500megs and only 8% processor utilization, lol.

3earnhardt3, Aug 31, 2008
  6. picasso

Sid

Ha ha, I had to navigate back to the system monitor, by the time I did that, then utilization is nearly zero.
    Examine the cpu trends, it does get pushed :)

I also have a 24" monitor attached, I need the screen real estate..

For me, multiple images and audio editing are the main culprits that eat memory.
    I keep the apps separate (by their function) in different workspaces.

Of course without the extra ram Linpus would have been pretty close to a crash.
    Memory is so inexpensive, for me adding it was a no brainer.

But I can't really advise upgrading ram unless you are happy with micro sized tools and screws that can be rock solid.

Sid, Aug 31, 2008
  7. picasso

janss

With Linpus I once got RAM usage up ti 1.1 GB after about 12 hours of non-stop usage :geek:

janss, Sep 1, 2008
  8. picasso

zulan

I went through the trouble to add an extra gig of memory and I must say that I think it was worth the trouble. I think the system is much more responsive now and less access to the SSD is always nice.

zulan, Sep 1, 2008
  9. picasso

lotus49

I used my One for about 10 days before adding the memory (I wanted to make sure I got some enjoyment out of it in case I bricked it). When I did add in my extra 1GB I immediately noticed ... no change whatsoever.

There is a lot of paranoia about using swap partitions on SSDs, but with plenty of memory it will rarely be used and even if it were, I don't believe the SSD would die before my One is obsolete. Consequently, I am using a swap partition so I don't really care about the perceived benefit of not using one.

More memory is always good, but the practical advantage of trebling the One's RAM appears to be minimal.

lotus49, Sep 3, 2008
  10. picasso

axcairns

The extra RAM is absolutely worth the effort. In addition to removing the need for swap you can mount a ramdisk and point all sorts of stuff at it. I have pointed firefox's cache at my ramdisk and it causes a noticeable reduction in disk thrashing when loading large pages.

Allan

axcairns, Sep 4, 2008
Ask a Question