RAM Upgrade to 1.5gig with 'known working' RAM, however ..

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by torpor, Nov 4, 2008.

1. torpor

torpor

... I am having problems with my freshly upgraded AAO-110 which are causing me no end of stress.

First of all, its the 8-gig Linux version, 512megs of RAM. I definitely need 1.5gigs of RAM - I do a lot of graphics and software development work, and for this little machine I want to *max out* the RAM, no question about it. So I went through my "SO-DIMM's left after upgrading the Macbooks" drawer, and have tried everything - 2gig SODIMM (obviously didn't work), a 1-gig, and a 512gig... none of them proved to be very good, so tonight I went to the store and bought what I thought was perfectly capable RAM : Corsair VS1GSDS667D2 1gig. This was on the list of compatible RAM upgrades that I found somewhere in this forum..

But alas, the symptoms: 1.5gigs is reported by the BIOS (latest version flashed, btw), but when the graphics get initialized, only a portion of the screen is used - like the display hardware doesn't see the RAM properly, and only lets the system use 800x600 resolution. Sometimes it works - I get a full display - but most of the time its no-go.

Anyone got any clues for me before I take the darned thing apart for the 10th time? I really don't want to stress with this, so if there is anything else I should know that will get me to have a working system, I'd really appreciate it. I had hoped to keep my AAO closed tight until my 32gig SSD upgrade arrives, alas ..

torpor, Nov 4, 2008
  2. torpor

Jediphx

Jediphx, Jan 14, 2009
Ask a Question