Ram upgrade -Suggest Screwdriver

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by bullasydney, Jan 2, 2009.

1. bullasydney

bullasydney

Small Philips screwdriver
    Two small flathead screwdrivers (or something similar) to get at the keyboard

Any idea which screw drivers are the best ?

bullasydney, Jan 2, 2009
  2. bullasydney

Darryl

I used a 2.4mm phillips jewellery driver with a rotating head and a cheap one at that. Anything bigger can round out the slots. Some of the screws can be quite difficult so you could try the technique used by tnkgirl using one of the above with a pair of pliers. This involves placing your palm on the rotating head to give downward pressure on the driver and rotating it with the pliers.
    http://qik.com/video/161904
    Other than that just a credit card and a no1 flathead for the keyboard. Hope the vid is of use there are plenty by her.

Darryl, Jan 2, 2009
  3. bullasydney

Jerm78

Try using a Phillips first. If it doesn't work well, switch to a flathead.

Jerm78, Jan 2, 2009
  4. bullasydney

JimK

I started off using the small ones as suggested, but I needed a Sears Craftsman screwdriver with a full-size handle to break the glue seal without stripping out the head on one of the screws. It worked great.

JimK, Jan 2, 2009
  5. bullasydney

jinx022

You need a Phillips #1 for most screws and a Phillips #0 for the one small screw. It's best to use new and good quality screwdrivers and slightly magnetized to retain the small screws. A small flat blade screwdriver helps pry out the rubber feet and release the keyboard clips.

The "Hardware How To" subject in this forum covers adding a memory card in detail.

jinx022, Jan 3, 2009
  6. bullasydney

simbeb

Do not use anything metallic and sharp to dislodge the keyboard. The outer casing, keyboard and keyboard bits that keep it locked are plastic, so use plastic, so that if you do accidentally a brusque movement, your AA1 will remain safe.
    2 credit cards will do just as well, if your credit score allows you to have that many... ;)

simbeb, Jan 3, 2009
  7. bullasydney

bullasydney

Thanks guys, i would follow your advice

bullasydney, Jan 4, 2009
Ask a Question