RAM upgrade for D250 Model

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by penegore, Jan 2, 2010.

1. penegore

penegore

Hi,

I have acer aspire d250 with 1gb or RAM. I want to upgrade to 2gb of RAM; do I need to buy a 2GB chip, or is there another slot available on the motherboard for another 1gb chip that is not showing where the original RAM is installed? Thanks.

penegore, Jan 2, 2010
  2. penegore

mackey

2GB chip. 1 slot

mackey, Jan 3, 2010
  3. penegore

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

I have just purchased a 2Gb stick of PC2-4200 533MHz RAM for my D250 as that is what I was led to believe was in it originally.
    But upon opening up the cover I note that it has a stick of Kingston PC2-6400 800MHz RAM.

I have run CPU-Z to see what the system reconizes and as far as I can make out it sees the PC2-6400 with a max bandwidth of 400MHz (obviously for the 1:2 multiplier from the FSB)
    [​IMG]

But it looks like it is only running at 266MHz
    [​IMG]

Can anyone shed some light on this? I know I probably won't notice any difference between PC2-6400 and PC2-4200 but a bit of me wonders if I should return it and swap it for PC2-6400?

What do you think?

Cheers

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Jan 10, 2010
  4. penegore

longjohn412

It shouldn't make any difference. Since PC2-4200 RAM is going the way of the Dodo Bird it's just cheaper for Acer to buy PC2-6400 RAM. All the rating tells you is the maximum speed the RAM is capable of, you can clock it slower and it should work just fine.(If it doesn't there is a motherboard bug) For instance you run a PC-6400 stick at PC-4200 speeds it will act exactly the same as a PC-4200 rated chip, no better and no worse. The only advantage is often times if you run RAM at a notch or two lower speed than rated it will run cooler which could have it's advantages in a notebook/netbook.

Just a little buyer's tip, if the faster RAM is cheaper, and often times it is, go for the faster RAM and save yourself a couple of bucks. I'm running PC-6400 RAM in a Dell notebook rated for PC-3200 RAM just fine and it dropped the cost nearly in half because PC-3200 hasn't been made for several years and thus remaining stock is higher priced (Supply and Demand)

longjohn412, Feb 18, 2010
  5. penegore

BestHubris

I'm sorry for replying to an old thread, but I just have to say thank you for this tip. It has already saved me a fair amount of money as we have several notebooks about now, and I had NO IDEA that I could use the faster/cheaper/more available RAM in place of the slower harder to find RAM that matches the specs.

(Edit: I guess this isn't an old thread. I confused the user's join date with the post date. Live and learn eh?)

BestHubris, Mar 27, 2010
Ask a Question