Quit button not working after an update

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by saral, Jul 12, 2009.

1. saral

saral

Hi, after doing an auto update that yesterday that wouldnt work, (the 83 84 thing) have since read up on it and still cant get it to work.

Anyway after that the computer wouldnt go into sleep when I closed it - this has since fixed itself but the Quit button (I'm using the XFCE desktop) just clears all the icons off the desktop and doesnt close the machine, I am also not getting the sleep/hibernate?/restart/shut down box option, it just sits and does nothing, the only way it will close is by pressing the actual power button.

Does anyone have any ideas?

They would have to be in idiot form!

saral, Jul 12, 2009
  2. saral

sleepalot

Hello, I'm also having same problems :-(

Aspire one
    Linpus Linux Lite v1.0.9.E
    with xfce desktop enabled from howto's in these forums and mplayer installed also from the howto's
    in these forums.
    This belongs to my friends 12yo child who recieved it for her birthday last year
    and she loves it.

I updated with live update yesterday 13th july 2009.
    Machine now wont shutdown or reboot, icons disapear and then just sits there, have to press
    and hold the power button to switch off.
    Tried software updater, that has about 40+ updates but fails with unresolved dependencies.

On top of that it wont won't mount usb sticks.
    "Failed to mount "1G Removable Volume".
    org.freeesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable no < --(action,result).

Any suggestions?
    Thank you
    Sleepalot.

sleepalot, Jul 14, 2009
  3. saral

Negative_Zero

I am not sure if this is similar to the problem I had where there was an error on start-up, and then the red shut down icon stopped appearing on the bottom right corner of the screen, so I was forced to hold the power button down until the light went dark.

I applied the emergency bios reflash that macles mentions in his blog and it fixed the problems both start up and shut down. http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html.

Good luck,

Negative_Zero, Jul 15, 2009
  4. saral

saral

Sleepalot, yes I am having the same problem with the quit button, I can just press the power button once and it turns off though.

I also couldnt down load my photos from a memory card but did think it could be linked to the quit button not working, I just thought I wasnt doing it right!

Flashing the BIOS seems abit advanced! I was lost by the 4th line!

Can updates be removed at all does anyone know?

saral, Jul 16, 2009
  5. saral

sleepalot

I had a look round myself to see if updates could be removed,
    could not find anything at all.
    I was able to mount usb stick manually with root in a folder in the home directory.
    Could also open Thunar as root and the click on removable drives in tree pane and it mounted.

However have technically fixed my problems by using "unetbooten"
    to install Mepis8 on the Aspire One instead :D
    It installed easily and without problems and i installed amsn from mepis repo
    so that the webcam can be used. :D

I hope you get your problem fixed,if not give Mepis8 a go, you won't be
    disappointed.

Sleepalot.

sleepalot, Jul 16, 2009
Ask a Question