Question about CPU for Acer Aspire One 11.6"-Release Date

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by markw10, May 2, 2009.

1. markw10

markw10

I see that this machine has been officially announced in the UK. Is there a price or release date yet for the US?
    I am excited about the 11.6" screen and larger keyboard but what concerns me is the CPU. If I read correctly it's a Z520 at 1.33GHz. Is this correct?
    Currently I have 2 netbooks, a ASUS eeePC 1000HE with a 1.66 N280 and a 10.1" Acer Aspire One with a 1.6 N270. This seems like a step down. Is that correct? I like the specs of the machine but would hate to go down to a slower speed but is there some catch or did I read something wrong? From what I'm reading it is called the 751 and will be in 2 models, both the same CPU but the upper model with Vista instead of XP and a 250GB hard drive instead of 160GB.

markw10, May 2, 2009
  2. markw10

TownieBoy

PC mag said that it will come with either the Z520 or the Z530 at 1.3 and 1.6 GHz respectively. Link:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2344636,00.asp

I was confused by this too because the 751 was unveiled in Europe yesterday, and the reporters online seem to be equally confused about the processor. It sounds like the full specs are not out yet, and according to one such report, we'll have to wait until the end of the month when they are available in Europe at least. The price was said to be $519 US.

Which do you like better, the 10.1" Acer or the 1000HE? Those are the 2 other netbooks I was considering.

TownieBoy, May 3, 2009
  3. markw10

markw10

I know the earlier rumors said it would be a Z520 or Z530 but figured that had changed but maybe we'll see a Z530 version in the US. If so I'd be willing to purchase it but I'm not sure if I'd settle for the Z520.
    Between the two other models I prefer the ASUS eeePC 1000HE. I don't know if the CPU is really that much faster or at least noticeable but the sound is great and I like the chiclet style keyboard. I haven't used the Acer Aspire One 10.1" much yet but it's very impressive. In the past I used an MSI Wind but was the latch didn't seem that secure and also the sound was bad. I by far prefer both of these over the MSI Wind.

markw10, May 3, 2009
  4. markw10

TownieBoy

I know what you mean. If it has the Z520, I won't be buying it either.

I want to get a netbook to watch my recorded tv programs while on my unpaid 1 hour lunch at work, among other things. Those lunches can be so boring. By watching tv at work, I free up some time in my evenings for more important things. I tried running the microsoft recorded tv show format (720 x 480) on an 8.9" Aspire One and was impressed by the picture clarity and no dropped frames! I also tried one of my 720p camcorder videos at it worked almost as well. I don't think a 1.3 GHz processor could do that.

It's good to hear you like the sound on the 1000HE. That's important to me as well, but I also have some big honkin, ear covering Sony headphones that do a great job in noisy environments. If they go backwards on the processor, I'll get an ASUS 1000HE. You hear that Acer? Are you listening? :)

Does the 1000HE have an easy access panel to upgrade the memory?

TownieBoy, May 3, 2009
  5. markw10

goofball

1000HE has very easy access to memory. single panel exposes memory + HDD.

The 11.6" Acer has the Poulsbo chipset which has video acceleration. I'm sure it would handle 720p fine even with the slower CPU.

However, i'm not happy that max ram is 1GB.

goofball, May 4, 2009
  6. markw10

markw10

I didn't realize the Acer Aspire One 11.6" has 1GB of Max memory. It seems I read there is going to be a version with 160GB hard drive and 1GB memory and one with a 250GB hard drive and 2GB. I don't know if the version with 1GB can be upgraded. The 1000HE does have a very accessible hard drive and memory. I upgraded it to 2GB before I even used it the first time and have done that with all netbooks I've owned.

markw10, May 4, 2009
  7. markw10

fbx

I've seen the machine and it looks great--bigger keyboard (chiclet-style), bigger screen (substantially), bigger touchpad. All things the Acer needed.

I am worried that the 2 reviews I've seen say the keyboard is mushy and uncomfortable to type on, the screen is flimsy, and the CPU is substandard (a lesser CPU than is in use presently in the 10"). Serious charges and, if true, likely to doom the machine.

fbx, May 17, 2009
  8. markw10

barbarax

How to connect 2 monitors , 2 keyboards , 2 mice on single CPU with a switch to make one operate at a time? I want to utilize my PC(Desktop) from different rooms of my house. So instead of buying a new laptop , I felt it would be better if I can connect my Desktop through multiple keyboard mouse monitor shared on single CPU ; with a switch that can make a particular set of monitor keyboard mouse working . Can anyone suggest a cheaper alternative to make this work .

barbarax, May 29, 2009
Ask a Question