Purchased LINPUS USB key

Discussion in 'Linux' started by duncan58, Jun 27, 2009.

1. duncan58

duncan58

My Aspire One was getting worse with every Acer update. I lost the webbcam. Then, without any reason, the wireless went out, including the Control Centre.

I did not want to risk rebooting my other laptop with the system CD that came with the Aspire One so I could load LINPUS onto a USB key, then reboot the Aspire One. I could just imagine having two "bricked" computers.

I found a USB key for sale on eBay pre-loaded with Linpus. Search for "ACER ASPIRE ONE RESTORE USB DRIVE / LINPUS LINUX LITE" from the seller saw_c6 for $20 plus $5 shipping. When I got it a week later in the mail, I rebooted simply by plugging into the USB and following the brief directions, and voila, my Aspire One was LIKE NEW.

I recommend to you, rather than tearing out your hair trying to figure out obscure LINUX code commands, or making a USB key using the O/S reboot on another computer, just buy this key and reboot safely whenever you need it.

Its like respawning alive after getting killed in a first person shooter game.

duncan58, Jun 27, 2009
  2. duncan58

DutchDK

Pray tell, how would you "brick" the other PC by booting the Acer Aspire One Linpus recovery DVD, in order to make the USB recovery key yourself ? It's a procedure that takes 20 minutes, and doesn't touch anything on the PC that you boot with the recovery DVD.

DutchDK, Jun 27, 2009
  3. duncan58

JimK

It about happened to me. One time I booted with the recovery DVD in my desktop PC and it borked the partition tables to the internal and external hard drives. Fortunately I was able to restore them with a rescue CD. That DVD is dangerous. Then there's also the chance for user error -- formatting an HD instead of the USB thumb drive.

JimK, Jun 28, 2009
  4. duncan58

rbil

Because if a user has more than one hard drive in his/her PC, creating the recovery flash key will wipe out the mbr of the second hard drive. It won't actually "brick" the other PC, but it will certainly leave the user with a real problem.

Cheers.

rbil, Jul 1, 2009
Ask a Question