PS2 Jam: I broke my Keyboard/Trackpad Drivers

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by Cralex, May 20, 2009.

1. Cralex

Cralex

Alright, looks like I got myself in trouble. I was trying to install the Voodoo PS2 drivers that I heard about in a few topics around here, but I immediately ran into some issues. My trackpad and built-in keyboard quit working and, to top it off, the keyboard kept on entering 7's into any text field that I tried to type into, which naturally includes my admin password field. So, I tried to uninstall it and start over with what I had before. I did some research and found out how to get rid of the kext files that were causing the problem with single user mode and I restored the original kexts from backups. However, the problem remained. I looked around and guessed that the voodooPS2 prefpane might be to blame, so I went back into single user mode and got rid of that too.

I thought that helped because I got keyboard control back, although the trackpad still would not work. However, before long the kayboard was doing the same thing again: not responding and constantly typing 7. Even when I am not in a text field, I hear a rapid clicking sound coming from the speakers (I was able to mute and unmute them confirm this.) when certain programs are active, such as Preferences or OSX86 Tools. I tried to repair permissions but it did not seem to help. So, now I'm tired and stuck. Does anyone know what additional steps I could take to get things back to normal? I once used the "Synaptics kext ", but I uninstalled it (without incident) because I didn't like how it made parts of my trackpad unresponsive and because scrolling didn't seem to work. I have never tried FFScroll. I am running iatkos 10.6 with the Voodoo kernel on a 8.9 in machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I'll live without two-finger scrolling if I really have to, but does anyone know of a kext that can enable it without all these nasty side-effects?

Cralex, May 20, 2009
  2. Cralex

yohko101

What you'll need is a couple of stuff.

1) delete the voodoops2 kext. i think that's what it was called
    2) delete the trackpad pref pane if you have it
    3) delete the voodoo pref pane - this is the /Library/PreferencePane i think
    4) replace the keyboard pref pane back to the original one. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149173 theres a link to one in the guide
    5) If you have ApplePS2keyboard and ApplePS2Controller i suggest just to have one of them intalled, you don't need both
    6) you'll also need to have the AppleACPIPS2NUB kext installed

yohko101, May 20, 2009
  3. Cralex

Cralex

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have helped much. I have had varying success with the keyboard, but more often than not it still repeats 7 all the time. I have managed to get some more control by turning off key repeating in System Preferences but it still happens most of the time, albeit at a greatly reduced rate. I was able to use this to get almost full functionality with the built-in keyboard for awhile, but now I'm just strapped to my USB one again. As for my trackpad, it still hasn't worked even once since this all started.

I hate to say it, but I may be forced to reinstall the operating system. I'd rather not, but it's starting to look like the only way to get things back to normal operation.

Cralex, May 29, 2009
Ask a Question