Project - Linpus Network Access

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Ariel, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Ariel

Ariel

Ok folks! Lets put our brains together and see what we can come up with for this one:

The desired outcome would be to be able to access network shares from ALL programs, if not just from the file manager would do.

I've spent some time looking at how this could be done and have found the following:

The main issue is the Thunar file manager used by xfce - it simply does not support network access. The thunar.xfce.org website says that this would be avalible in the new version of thunar that should be availible in "August 2007" since this was last year I'm not going to hope for progress in this direction.

the alternative would be to look at FuseSMB which a number of people have found useful with other linux distros using xfce like xubuntu.

a ubuntu howto exists here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ht=fusesmb but I haven't figured out how to make it work on linpus.

a few people have been asking about this one and we haven't gotten any farther than suggestions to change the OS.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments are most welcome!

Ariel, Jul 24, 2008
  2. Ariel

Sid

Can I ask, did you get any further with this?

Sid, Aug 22, 2008
Ask a Question