Project: HSDPA internal modem

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Mattlocked, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Mattlocked

Mattlocked

Hi,

I've been lurking around the forum for a while and I've just finished setting the One just the way I like it. I added a 1GB sodimm ram module, and threw in an Adata class6 16GB SD card to have some extra storage for media and files. After several trial-error xp installs, Linpus is C4@'?, I finally got a speedy xp using the tinyXPv09 cd (opt6), with the usual tweaks (prefetch, paging file...ramdisk, etc...)

I had some issues with the keyboard layout, as I am from Spain and TinyXP only adds support for english keyboards... but somehow I found the way to solve it.. (if anyone needs the spanish Kb layout installer just PM, its a 25KB msi file).

Now, the only thing left for this lil' blue bastard to be perfect is to have an internal Hsdpa modem, not having to carry around additional devices like the huawei E220 I use to get online on the run.

While installing the ram upgrade I noticed that there's a certarin amount of available space near the atheros Wlan module, and I'm pretty sure that the board of the modem would fit in there almost for sure. I'd just have to wire the modem board to the usb connectors on the mainboard of the One to make it work and I don't think that will be a big deal if performed carefully.

What do you guys think? It looks pretty feasible to me... I'll have to open the One again, tear my huawei apart and take some measurements.....

I'll see what I can do when I find the time.

Greetz.
    Matt.

Mattlocked, Aug 8, 2008
  2. Mattlocked

Mattlocked

Mattlocked, Aug 8, 2008
  3. Mattlocked

lotus49

I am also planning to do this. The easy way would be to buy a mini pci HSDPA modem but they are currently very expensive at about 2/3 of the complete price of the One and I think that is a bit silly.

I also have a Huawei E220 as well as a Merlin XU870 so I could use the E220. I have followed the hacks on eeeuser.com and this is perfectly achievable.

There certainly should be enough room. One thing I am wondering about is what to do with the SIM. I am still waiting for my One to arrive (hoping to receive it any day now) so I am curious whether the SIM slot that is already in the One is accessible easily. It would suit me very well if I could swap the SIM between the One and my MacBook Pro (which is the machine I use the Merlin XU870 on).

lotus49, Aug 8, 2008
  4. Mattlocked

Mattlocked

I wouldn`t complicate myself with swapping sims just get a duplicate of your sim,any network operator will provide you with one for free (at least they do in Spain). Once I get the Hdspa modem in an running I will try not to mess around with the one anymore, the thin connectors of keyboard, touchpad and storage freak me out everytime i open the One, seem very fragile to me... I'm concerned with the temperature of the modem while operating, the eeepc forum thread mentioned it's quite high...so some kind of thermal insulation between the modem board and the mainboard should be put in place. Next week I'll try to get started with this.

Greetz.

Mattlocked, Aug 9, 2008
  5. Mattlocked

lotus49

That's very interesting. I had wondered whether this was possible but I assumed they would not be prepared to do this to reduce the risk of two people using the same account. I am based in the UK but I shall phone T-Mobile tomorrow to ask them. If they don't, I was thinking of switching to Vodafone so I shall ask them as well.

Thanks for the suggestion.

My Huawei E220 and it does get warm but not excessively so and it is of course enclosed in a plastic case with no venting so I wouldn't expect this to be much of a problem inside the One since it would benefit from the flow of air from the fan.

lotus49, Aug 10, 2008
  6. Mattlocked

Sid

Have you got the E220 running on the One (when connected to an external usb port).

Here's hoping you have and you are on three.

:)

Sid, Aug 10, 2008
  7. Mattlocked

lotus49

Unfortunately, I have still not received my One so the answer is no.

Mine works fine on another laptop running Ubuntu Hardy. Getting it running with the Vodafone Mobile Connect Driver for Linux was super easy even though I am currently with T-Mobile (so another no I am afraid :( ).

I take it that you have tried and failed. Are you using Linpus? Have you tried the VMC software?

BTW I have phoned T-Mobile and duplicate SIMs are out of the question. The only UK operators which allow duplicate SIMs (as far as I am able to find out anyway) are Orange and Vodafone. Both only permit this for business customers and neither will do it with a HSDPA modem - most disappointing.

The Spaniards are lucky, according to Mattlocked above you can get a duplicate for free!

lotus49, Aug 10, 2008
  8. Mattlocked

rory

rory, Aug 11, 2008
  9. Mattlocked

Mattlocked

Actually in Spain sim card duplicates are available free for corporate or business customers, I've been using duplicates for years and took for granted this would be also available for common users. AFAIK movistar (O2 in the UK) in Spain provides some professionals (not registered as companies) with cloned sims, and I guess it should be fairly easy, unless particular restrictive regulations on this matter are in force, to have them issue two cloned sims for you.

I have seen the sierra mini-pci modem and I wonder how this would connect to the mobo? is there maybe a mini-pci slot available that I haven't seen?... if so, this should be the most clean and convenient way to accomplish ubicuous connectivity without much hassle.

Greetz.

Matt.

Mattlocked, Aug 13, 2008
  10. Mattlocked

lotus49

Contrary to everyone's expectations prior to launch, the little compartment on the bottom of the One does not give access to a SO-DIMM slot but a mini PCI slot instead. However, this does not appear to be present on every One. Undo the screws and lift up the flap and you will be able to check for yourself.

lotus49, Aug 16, 2008
  11. Mattlocked

xperiate

Guys - this is what I did - I bought this HSDPA mini-PCI card from http://www.getpartsonline.com/rt052aa.html and replaced the Wifi card with it. Now, for the Wifi, I'm trying to check if a SDIO Wifi Card may work. Sure it will stuck out a little from the SD card slot but it's a start.

Can anyone confirm that the slot is an SDIO one?

Thanks!

xperiate, Aug 17, 2008
  12. Mattlocked

lotus49

Why didn't you use the mini-PCI slot under the hatch so you didn't need to remove the wifi card?

lotus49, Aug 17, 2008
  13. Mattlocked

Sid

Because the Mobo doesn't have the slot hardware fitted at that location (in all the One's I know about).
    The board only has solder pads, I wouldn't like the job of soldering one of those on manually.

Sid, Aug 17, 2008
  14. Mattlocked

Jefri

where to put the sim on?does your mobo has a simcard slot already?

Jefri, Aug 18, 2008
  15. Mattlocked

lotus49

Some of them do have the slot (and the SIM holder - see below) but I know that not all do.

Tnkgrl, whose One doesn't have the hardware, is going to solder one onto hers. I'll be interested to see how she gets on.

Those of you who don't know her should have a look at tnkgrl.wordpress.org - she's got some really interesting hardware hacking vids.

lotus49, Aug 18, 2008
  16. Mattlocked

Jefri

Agreed ;)

Jefri, Aug 18, 2008
  17. Mattlocked

xperiate

My HSDPA Card has an onboard SIM slot. I am currently getting HSDPA speeds using the Unlimited Medianet Plan on AT&T Prepaid Go account :)

xperiate, Aug 18, 2008
  18. Mattlocked

xperiate

what I plan to do next is wire a 4-Port USB internally and install a slim profile Bluetooth Dongle and a Wireless-N adapter. That will complete mys etup. That way I have a miniPCI- Express HSDPA Modem + BT 2.0 + 802.11g. BTW, I picked up another HP HSDPA WWAN Modem on eBay for $20 shipped. Returned the previous one that I paid $149 for...so sweet!

xperiate, Aug 19, 2008
  19. Mattlocked

lotus49

$20 - that really is cheap. Can you provide a link so we can see what it was please. I would also be interested if you get it working. Which OS are you intending to use?

lotus49, Aug 19, 2008
  20. Mattlocked

xperiate

You bet! It's usually $100+ on eBay and more outside. This is what I got http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=130246371713. I plan to use Windows XP (that's what I have on my 120GB model) - no hassle with the drivers. Everything works. I plan to install this in a day or two along with the additional RAM, Bluetooth and USB hub - wish me luck with the USB soldering!

xperiate, Aug 19, 2008
Ask a Question