Processor Upgrade for Acer 5742Z Laptop

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Falcon0122, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Falcon0122

Falcon0122

I have an Acer Aspire laptop computer that is about 10 years old. It has 4 GB of DDR3 memory and a Pentium P6100 dual core processor chip. Clock speed is 1.6 GHz. I recently replaced the 320 GB HDD with a 500 GB Samsung SSD and immediately noted a significant improvement in the time it takes to boot and to start programs.

Now that I have the better performance of the SSD, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to upgrade the processor to take advantage of the higher data transfer rate. The Intel family of "Core" chips are pretty inexpensive on eBay. Are the Core chips electrically and physically compatible with the Pentium chip, as long as they are the same form factor and socket type? If this isn't a good choice, can someone recommend some other replacement?

Thanks in advance.

Falcon0122, Mar 28, 2020
  2. Falcon0122

Falcon0122

I attempted to remove the bottom cover from the laptop to see how the processor was installed, but after a while it became obvious that I was going to break something, so I decided to abandon the project. The computer is running much faster than originally, so I don't think that it's worth the risk to try to get a little more speed.

Falcon0122, Mar 28, 2020
Ask a Question