Procedure to flash BIOS on D150

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Arctic_Eddie, May 10, 2009.

1. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

I received my D150 last week and have discovered the BIOS is V1.01 while the latest is 1.07. I've lost my on screen indicators for wireless on/off and sound/brightness up/down. A newer BIOS may fix this. However, the BIOS zip file has an entirely different content than the A150. I also can't find any procedure on how to flash the BIOS with the supplied file. Can someone point to the procedure with a link? I'm hoping there's both a normal and emergency method.

Thanks

Arctic_Eddie, May 10, 2009
  2. Arctic_Eddie

garrettp

There are several posts in these forums on how to do it. I did a quick google search for you and used "bios flash aspire one". I would suggest doing that. Below is a link which I think will be very helpful.

LINK 1 from USB
    LINK 2 (ESC+FN)

garrettp, May 10, 2009
  3. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

I had searched the Acer forum and used Google and found numerous references but none to the D150. The two links you found are both for the A150 series. The D150 BIOS file has no resemblance to the A150 series. For example, the V1.07 file is named BIOS_Acer_v1.07_A_AOD150.zip. Within it is the folder AOD150_BIOS_v107. Within the folder are two files, KAV10107.exe and readme.txt. The readme is no help and the EXE decompresses to six more files. None are named similar to the A150 series. I don't want to execute the InsydeFlash.exe file without some knowledge of what I'm supposed to do. This thing could be run from a USB bootable flash drive or from XP but until I see some instructions I hesitate to proceed.
    ---
    I just looked at the EXE with a hex editor and there is a message that it cannot be run in DOS mode so that eliminates the USB stick. It looks like it should be run within XP but that sounds a little dangerous to me.

Thanks for looking for me anyway.

Arctic_Eddie, May 10, 2009
  4. Arctic_Eddie

garrettp

Sorry about that. The whole D150 thing throws me off ;)

I will have to download the BIOS files and see if I an help out any. Unless someone else posts your answer before me. Flashing BIOS though should be a simple task. And there should be no real problems from within Windows either. With windows based flash utilities you usualy get a minimal window and you have to point to the location of the new BIOS. It is easiest to find the BIOS file if you just save it under C:\

garrettp, May 10, 2009
  5. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

I read all the TXT and INI files in the V1.07 archive and get the impression that the flash is run from within XP by executing the KAV10107 file. If this is true then that makes it very easy to upgrade. I'm not about to do it until I have definite info. Still unanswered is the question about what to do if it won't boot anymore. The A150 has it's emergency flash procedure and I hope the D150 has something similar.

Arctic_Eddie, May 11, 2009
  6. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Here's the response from Acer Support. If they really believe that then why put the update files on their support site.

"Thank you for contacting Acer America. I'll be happy to assist you with the issue regarding bios upgrading.

While going through your system record in our database, we came to know that your system is in warranty.

Please be informed that Acer does not support upgrading BIOS. You have the option of upgrading the BIOS at your own discretion. However, it is preferred that you keep to the original configuration of your system so that all the programs and applications in your computer will recognize all the hardware installed in it.

For further clarifications please feel free to visit our web site http://Acer.com/

Have a great day!

Respectfully,
    Acer America
    Online Technical Support"

Arctic_Eddie, May 13, 2009
  7. Arctic_Eddie

garrettp

Wow, that really burns my toast. I remember reading that somewhere and thinking it was a misprint but I guess not.

Guess I will never buy another Acer product! :(

garrettp, May 13, 2009
  8. Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

I'm beginning to think the same thing. I just got another email from Acer and they said to not update unless instructed by tech service. Below is their latest response. I have both an A150 and D150 and both have problems. You have to wonder why they come out with a new BIOS version if the old one is okay. I'm now looking at a Samsung NC10.

I'm beginning to think the procedure is to execute the KAV1010x.exe file within the ZIP download while in XP. That only works if it will boot. I doubt if they'll ever tell us about the emergency procedure like the A150 series. Maybe Macles will come to our rescue.

<Quote>
    Thank you for contacting Acer America. I'll be happy to assist you.

Having reviewed your email I understand that you want to know the BIOS flashing procedure.

After verifying the details, I understand that the product is in warranty and registered.

John, Please be informed that Acer does not support upgrading BIOS.Flashing the wrong BIOS can cause harm to the system.
    Acer recommends that you should only upgrade your firmware/drivers if you have been instructed to do so by an Acer Customer Care representative.

Note : By using these firmware/drivers you agree to accept the possibility of product failure.

Please make note of the SR id for future reference : 1-4SVBYS

For further clarifications please feel free to visit our web site http://Acer.com/

Thank you for contacting Acer America. Have a great day!

Respectfully,
    Acer America
    Online Technical Support
    </Quote>

Arctic_Eddie, May 13, 2009
  9. Arctic_Eddie

garrettp

That is amazing. If there is a problem with the BIOS, it should be a simple issue to reflash. Regardless, it should not have to be done by a tech. For Acer to say that BIOS flash is not under a warranty blows my mind. BIOS is part of the main board and with out it the computer just cannot work. If there is a program issue with BIOS and Acer issue's an update it is obvious they are stating that something was wrong with the previous version. Now, I know that all manufacturers say DO NOT FLASH UNLESS there is an issue. But we all know that there are issues and so does Acer.

I wish everyone would just get a cheap USB floppy drive ($20 ebay) and do it the old fashioned DOS way. It makes life so much easier. And do that BEFORE attempting to flash BIOS since if it goes wrong it won't boot to nothin ;)

garrettp, May 13, 2009
Ask a Question