Problems with an extra SDHC card in left slot

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Jepser, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Jepser

Jepser

I have recently installet ubuntu 8.10 on my AA1. The installation went well. On the original SD I choosed ext2 och / and on my extra SDHC 4GB choosed I 3GB for ext2 /home and 1GB for swap. I have installed the optimated kernel. Everything worked well the two first days but then the third day when i booted the computer it didn't. When the hardware is being checked, just before the login page are gonna show up i get a message that something is wrong, it says:

fsck.ext2: Unable to resolve 'UUID=5e1cc734-d4d9-4d8c-8948-fcbf2e2af342'
    fsck died with exit status 8

*File system check failed.
    A log is being saved in /var/log/fsck/checkfs if that location is writable.
    Please repair the file system manually.
    *A maintenance shell will now be started.
    CONTROL-D will terminate the shell and resume system boot.
    bash: no job control in this shell
    root@jesper-netbook:~#

I have tried ignoring it but I can't log in after that. I have printed "exit" and then try to log in but I'm just getting the message that it can't find /home and so on. I have also got the tip to try to print fsck /dev/mmcblk0p6 which is the name of my partition where i have ext2(/home) on my SDHC card. But then I get the message:

fcsk 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
    e2fsck 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
    fcsk.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/mmcblk0p6

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

I try the line that is mentioned last in the message but then I just get the same message again. How can i solve this?!

Jepser, Jan 11, 2009
  2. Jepser

RockDoctor

Looks like either the SSD or the SDHC card is being referenced by UUID. My guess is that either the UUID isn't valid, or it's trying to find the SDHC but can't. Boot from a live USB stick or CD, plug in the SDHC card, bring up a terminal window, and type
    Code:
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null | awk '{print $1, $3}'
    to see the UUID of each of your devices. If the problem lies with the SSD, you can, as root, edit /etc/fstab on the SSD to reference the SSD by device (I believe it's /dev/sda) instead of by UUID.

RockDoctor, Jan 11, 2009
  3. Jepser

donec

Jepser, I have seen the same thing and the only thing I have found to fix it is to restore the SSD partition. I use Rbil's Backup and Restore solution and it works fine for me. If you do not have a backup to restore then you may need to reinstall the root partition. However there may be another way and some of the Guru's around here may be of more help but using Rbil's solution takes about 15 minutes and just a couple keyboard clicks.

donec, Jan 11, 2009
  4. Jepser

Jepser

Unfortenatly I didn't even get any info about my sdhc-card when i typed sudo blkid -c /dev/null | awk '{print $1, $3}' and after trying different thing to come up with a solution without i result have i decided to re-partition and re-install ubuntu. I hope I won't get the same issue after I've done that. Thanks for the help anyhow!

Jepser, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question