Problem with sound, wifi, suspend - start up script problem?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by CalebW, Nov 19, 2008.

1. CalebW

CalebW

Hi,

I've been experimenting with changing the desktop (I'm now using KDE) and enabling GDM and stuff, and somehow along the way my wifi, sound and ability to suspend has stopped working (though the orange light for the wifi is lit up) - possibly other things as well.

I'm fairly new to Linux so I've not been entirely sure of what I've been doing (uh oh!) but I suspect that I might have accidentally stopped it from running a start-up script or something, but can't work out what I did that caused it, nor how to change it back.

Any ideas?
    Caleb

CalebW, Nov 19, 2008
  2. CalebW

CalebW

The webcam and USB slots aren't working either! The user interface and software works fine, but the hardware I've listed isn't working.

Any suggestions on what I might have accidentally changed or deleted that's causing this, and how I might put it right?

Also, if I have to do a system restore, how can I get the USB working in Linpus first, so I can copy over onto USB stick whatever files I've not already got backed up?

CalebW, Nov 20, 2008
  3. CalebW

daldred

Is the hal daemon running? (in a terminal window do:
    Code:
    ps ax | grep hald
    and post the result if you're not sure what it's telling you).

If it's not running, starting it may help. I'm away from my One at the moment, but I'm pretty sure the command is
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/hald start
    - it is on my main machine and I don't think Acer messed that bit up!

There have been reports in other threads of hald failing to start or crashing, and if it's not running you're likely to have trouble with devices.

daldred, Nov 20, 2008
  4. CalebW

CalebW

Thanks for your help. When I type "ps ax | grep hald" I get the following:
    Code:
    1356 ?    Ss  0:00 hald
    1357 ?    S   0:00 hald-runner
    1373 ?    S   0:00 hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket var/run/acpid.socket
    2266 pts/0 S+   0:00 grep hald
    When I type "sudo /etc/init.d/hald start", I'm told that the command is not found. I'm guessing this isn't a good thing! "whereis hald" gave me "/usr/sbin/hald", but "sudo /usr/sbin/hald start" doesn't seem to make any difference.

CalebW, Nov 20, 2008
  5. CalebW

daldred

OK: it looks as though hald is running, but let's give it a restart anyway. I had the command wrong: it's:
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/haldaemon restart
    Did that make any difference? If not, something else to check is what modules have been loaded which might be (or not be) dealing with usb devices. If you do
    Code:
    sudo lsmod
    what do you get listed?

daldred, Nov 20, 2008
  6. CalebW

CalebW

Thanks for the advice. I managed to mount a USB stick and copy my files off, so having done that I did a system restore.

I've now got the hang of Linux a lot better than when I first got my AA1, so I was able to do a much better job of setting it up how I want without installing unnecessary stuff or causing problems along the way. I've replaced the default user interface with KDE, reinstalled my favourite applications, copied over the stuff I backed up and I'm now very pleased with the result :)

CalebW, Nov 28, 2008
Ask a Question