Problem with my wirless. Recently changed from Linux to XP.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Craig Hughes, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Craig Hughes

Craig Hughes

So today I switched over from Linux to XP. Mainly because I've used windows all my life and didn't feel comfortable using Linux.
    Windows is now loaded up, however it's not connecting to my internet.
    I installed Atheros, loaded internet up and it worked, but when I've retarted the system, the internet doesn't load up.
    On the taskbar it shows that I am connected my home network, signal strength is excellent however the packets that I have sent is 226 and recieved packets being 6.

Any help people?
    Craig

Craig Hughes, Sep 1, 2009
  2. Craig Hughes

Rich in ILM

First reboot your router.
    Under wireless networks (prefered networks) delete the existing home network and reconnect.
    My guess is the password is no longer working or windows misread the security type.

Rich in ILM, Sep 2, 2009
  3. Craig Hughes

Craig Hughes

I found the solution on the acer website. It's as followed.
    Q: Ethernet Port Does Not Work

A: If the ethernet port is not working, or the computer is not getting an internet connection. First unplug the network cable from the ethernet port (RJ-45) on the computer and reset the power on the modem or router. Follow the instructions below to remove and reinstall the ethernet device.

1. Click on Start and then Control Panel
    2. If available, click on "Switch to Classic View" in the upper left hand corner
    3. Double-Click on System
    4. Click on the Hardware tab and then click on Device Manager
    5. Locate Network Adapters in the list and click on the '+'
    6. Under Network Adapters, locate the network card and double click on it
    7. Click on the Driver tab
    8. Click on Uninstall and then Ok
    9. Restart the computer

When the comptuer restarts, it will automatically reinstall the driver for the network card.

Only problem I have now, is that I have this problem every time I go on the laptop. Shouldn't windows remember this? Do you think I should look to see if there is a driver update that might solve this solution?

Craig Hughes, Sep 2, 2009
Ask a Question