Problem with installation of Fedora 8 LINUX..?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by strutwatson, Jan 5, 2010.

1. strutwatson

strutwatson

I have been installing Fedora 8 Linux with already having Windows Xp as my primary OS. I have a total of 80GB Hard disk.Out of 80 GB,I have freed 8GB for Linux. But during Installation after selecting language for keyboard and then choosing Create Custom Layout, while giving partitions I have allotted 4GB for '/' and 2GB for Swap. Initially space was created for root(/)...but it is unable to create space for swap and all other boot,home etc. It is showing the error message as Could not create partition as there is no space left for /(root)...

What is the reason behind this.? Plz guide me the solution...

Thanks in advance...

strutwatson, Jan 5, 2010
  2. strutwatson

willie

Fedora 8 is ages old try the latest version of Fedora i believe it's version 12.

willie, Jan 5, 2010
  3. strutwatson

rpkemp

Not what you're asking but I would say 4GB was not enough. Give your root partition at least 6-7GB. 2GB swap is too much, on the other hand - assuming you have the common maximum of 1.5GB of RAM the most you need for a swap partition is about 1.5GB plus a little bit. And that's only if you will be hibernating the device.
    Difficult to say from your explanation. But it's possible you have run into some difficulties over the distinction between primary, extended and logical partitions.

Using Fedora 12 instead of 8 would be MUCH more sensible but it may not resolve your partitioning problem. Post back if you're still puzzling over it.

rpkemp, Jan 11, 2010
Ask a Question