Problem Printing with CUPS

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by stevemid, Sep 27, 2008.

1. stevemid

stevemid

This is an Acer Aspire One (AAO)netbook 512 MB 8GB running Limpus. I have it connected to a network of 6 OS X, XP and Ubuntu computers which successfully use CUPS to print to printers connected to one of the OS X machines. I cannot get the new Limpus machine to print.

When I tried to set up my AAO I got a "CUPS printer error" error message trying to set up a printer. Thanks to some help I got in a previous thread viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4211 I updated Fedora and CUPS and then got into the CUPS administration via Firefox on http://localhost:631. Here I can see here that Limpus is receiving the printer broadcasts from the OS X machine as to the identity of its attached printers. The problem is that when I go to print a test page to either printer I get the following Firefox error: Server not found. Firefox can't find the server at XXX-computer.local.

To troubleshoot this I opened CUPS administration on the Ubuntu 8.04 machine which is able to share the printers. Its printer information is exactly the same as the Limpus machine:

Description: MFC-7420
    Printer Driver: Brother MFC-7420 CUPS v1.1 on jill-cavans-computer.local
    Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, not published.
    Device URI: ipp://jill-cavans-computer.local:631/printers/MFC_7420

We can see it, but we can't print to it.

Does anyone have any ideas where I could look next? or what may be broken?

stevemid, Sep 27, 2008
  2. stevemid

scottro

You can try comparing /etc/cups/printers.conf and perhaps /etc/cups/cupsd.conf. Cups has gotten much better (I no longer call it Can't Usually Print Stuff) but can still be quite frustrating when it doesn't work. It may also be a different driver on Ubuntu, which tends to be rather good at such things. (That is, although the driver is the same, there may be differences in the ppd files.)

I would start with those two files, though I'm not sure what you'll see.

scottro, Sep 27, 2008
  3. stevemid

JoaoMachado

First, you should update CUPS:

First update Fedora Release
    Code:
    sudo yum update fedora-release
    Then update CUPS:
    Code:
    sudo yum update cups
    Also, make sure you downlaod the CUPS wrapper from Brother...

Joao

JoaoMachado, Sep 27, 2008
  4. stevemid

JoaoMachado

JoaoMachado, Sep 28, 2008
Ask a Question