Problem Launching IE

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Maredudd, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Maredudd

Maredudd

Hi Folks!

I just bought an Aspire One D250 and it seems to be working great out-of-the-Box except for one thing so far.

When I launch IE I get the following:
    1. IE window pops up
    2. An error dialog pops up telling me that IE can't find "http://<bunch-o-chinese-text> and the IE window goes away.
    3. When I hit "OK", the dialog box goes away and the IE window pops open again trying to connect.
    4. An error dialog pops up telling me that IE can't find "http://<bunch-o-chinese-text> and the IE window goes away.
    5. Rinse and repeat steps 3 and 4 ad infinitum.
    6. If I try to close the dialog buy hitting the "X", it seems to spawn two IE windows from one of which comes the same error dialog as previously mentioned.
    7. Using the Task Manager, I tried to delete the tasks but could not keep up with the spawning and so heventually had nearly 15 tasks lined up in the window.
    8. Tried to turn off the computer through the "Start" menu but couldn't. It seemed to ignore the request.
    9. Finally found the iexplorer process in the Task Manager and killed it.

So, any ideas?

Eric

Maredudd, Jun 26, 2009
  2. Maredudd

Karloe

It seems that your default startpage has been "hijacked" :shock:
    Configuration Screen / Internet Options, on the main tab you can change it.
    I would advise to do a extensive virus scan, better safe than sorry.

Karloe, Jun 27, 2009
  3. Maredudd

Maredudd

Hi Folks!

I tried to change the default home page and that didn't fix the problem.

On the other-hand, I did manage to get IE to behave, though I'm still not sure what was going on. I turned off Google Desktop, which is apparently on by default, and IE launched just fine. I'm waiting to do a full exercise of the computer until I can pick up an external CD burner so I can create a Recover Disk.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Eric

Maredudd, Jun 28, 2009
Ask a Question