Printing

Discussion in 'Linux' started by darwin, Dec 27, 2008.

1. darwin

darwin

Hi , new to linux . I'm trying to print from my AA1 to my Epson printer . It is a wifi printer and I got it set up no probs with my windows PC .
    I cant get it to print wirelessly or wired. Not sure how to get the One to see the printer wirelessly . Tried it connected to the USB to see if I could do that . Downloaded the driver from the Epson site and it seemed to recognise the printer when I plugged it into the One , but I cant seem to actually print any documents . When I go to print something it doesnt give any error messgages .

darwin, Dec 27, 2008
  2. darwin

terry_gardener

terry_gardener, Dec 28, 2008
  3. darwin

darwin

Original Linpus . Its an Epson Sx405 wifi.
    I have managed to get it printing through Windows Samba .

darwin, Dec 28, 2008
  4. darwin

dstainer

Hi guys - this is similar to a problem I'm faced with. Again I'm a complete Linux newbie and don't know where to start regarding hooking up my daughters AAO to an Epson wireless printer - this time an SX600FW. I have 2 laptops and a desktop hooked up fine through windows - the installation CD that came when I was installing was pretty idiot proof!
    Now where do I start with the AA0....I thought about running the windows printer setup.exe file through WINE but 'm not convinved that would work.
    I've found a website that has a linux driver download for this model, but took one look at the readme file and it scared me off completely - too much deleting of system files, that I' be scared to do some damage.
    Is there an easy way of doing this? Darwin if you could let me know an idiot's guide of how you managed to get yours going then It would be much appreciated. All my daughter wants to be able to do is wirelessly print from the AAO's office type of applications.

Thanks for any pointers in advance.. :D

dstainer, Dec 29, 2008
  5. darwin

gavinp

gavinp, Dec 29, 2008
  6. darwin

dstainer

Thanks Gavin :D - Very informative link....
    I can follow it up to the part where I have to enter the IP address of my print server. Now I'm going to really going to show my ignorance, because I've no idea how to find out the IP address of my print server. When I installed my wireless printer on my Windows based PC's everything was done using the installation disk and I really didn't have to dig too deep because it just seemed to set everything up fine. Any pointers to help me with that IP address?

dstainer, Dec 29, 2008
  7. darwin

gavinp

Unfortunately I am not familiar with that model but most printers will allow you to print a status page which lists the settings and should hopefully include the IP address.

Failing that, if the information isn't in the manuals, you will need to find someone who has that printer or contact Epson directly.

Thanks

Gavin

gavinp, Dec 30, 2008
  8. darwin

dstainer

Thanks Gavin - I'm getting there!
    I found the IP address easily via the settings menu on my printer. The problem now is that when I go to print the test page it comes out with reems and reems of gobbledigook. Any ideas? Could I have picked out the wrong driver? The exact model isn't mentioned on the list of Epson printers available so I picked what I thought was the nearest one (Epson Stylus Color 600 Foomatic/stcolor) - when my printers an Epson SX600FW.
    I'm so nearly there now.... just need that final piece of the puzzle. :?

Thanks Again,
    Duncan

dstainer, Dec 31, 2008
  9. darwin

gavinp

gavinp, Dec 31, 2008
  10. darwin

dstainer

Thanks again Gavin. :D
    Next question is where do I get gutenprint from? If I right click and go to add/remove software from the advanced menu there appears to be some gutenprint add-ons for Epson printers in there ready for installation. Do I just click on the tick box and install?
    Will the driver then be automatically listed? Sorry for the stupid questions....thanks in advance.

Duncan

dstainer, Jan 2, 2009
  11. darwin

gavinp

Duncan,

Sounds like a plan. I don't have the A110 with Linpus Lite with me (it is my mother's) - I have an A150 with XP & Ubuntu.

Thanks

Gavin

gavinp, Jan 3, 2009
  12. darwin

Guest Guest

Like Duncan I am also new to Linux and have the AA 110. I would like to use my Epson DX4800 Printer /Scanner connected by USB. I have connected the printer to the AA1 and it recognises that an Epson Printer is connected but it does not have the model number listed in the pre-loaded drivers. I went to the Epson web site and looked up the driver for Linux but got lost in the huge amount of info on there. I have seen both on the Epson site and in this forum mention of "CUPS" but have no idea what it is or does. Sorry if this has been explained elsewhere but this forum is so big the old git in me is struggling to find my way through. So I have a few queries if anyone could help.

1 :looking at the previous replies on this thread Gavin mentioned downloading the " Printer Utility/ Driver" from ACER. Do I need to do this to begin with or would it have come pre-loaded?
    2: Does anyone have an easy link to the Epson Driver for my printer scanner?
    3: Do I need to download any other software like "CUPS" to help with the printing.

Thanks in advance,

Gus

Guest, Jan 21, 2009
  13. darwin

jacktar

Try the avasys web site.

jacktar, Feb 3, 2009
Ask a Question