Power Issue

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Viper, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Viper

Viper

Hi
    My Acer Aspire V5-571 has only just started to not power on unless i remove the battery, hold down power button for 60 seconds, plug power cable back in start the laptop then insert the battery. Sometimes it wont start a few times after following the above steps, has me stumped any ideas greatly appreciated.

Viper, Apr 10, 2014
  2. Viper

Brian8gbSSDLinux

It COULD be because your battery is reaching end of life...

There is a program called BatteryBar (currently v 3.6 I believe) which reads the current state of the battery, and that includes the useful life of the battery... (do not buy the 'Pro' version... go for the Free version).

It takes a short while for the program to work out the overall state of the battery - so do NOT rely on the first days readings...

Typically my current laptop battery which is two Years old is 57% 'worn' i.e holds less than half its charge.

Which is OK because I have a new 100% battery for use when travelling or away from power points...

Hope this is helpful...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Apr 10, 2014
    Viper likes this.
  3. Viper

Viper

Thank you i will download the battery app and see how it goes i will keep you informed

many thanks

Viper, Apr 10, 2014
  4. Viper

Viper

I've just downloaded battery bar ill see how it goes just one question if it is the battery then why wont it turn on without the battery and i have to hold down the power button? just curious

thank you

Viper, Apr 10, 2014
  5. Viper

Brian8gbSSDLinux

THAT has me stumped too... i have never come across a similar situation - there is JUST a possibility that it MIGHT be a BIOS problem and you MIGHT need to update the BIOS...

I don't know how 'old' the Acer Aspire V5-571 series are... but I got an Acer Aspire V5 11.6" Laptop for my son, for University and that was a year old at least.

Try checking the Acer Aspire V5-571 support website...
    http://acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/support
    Drivers & Bios links are at the bottom of that page...

Just trying to be helpful...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Apr 11, 2014
    Viper likes this.
  6. Viper

Viper

Hi yes thank you for your reply i will try and see if there is a BIOS update available and let you know, the laptop will be 2 years old now but this is the first bit of bother ive had.

Again many thanks

Viper, Apr 11, 2014
  7. Viper

XeNoNF50

This happened to my Toshiba p750 laptop a year ago. It kept showing that the battery life was at 0 and wouldn't work unless it was plugged in. I left it on charge overnight and the battery started holding charge again but at a slower rate. Either way, I think it may be worth a try just keeping it charged overnight and see what happens if all else fails.

XeNoNF50, Apr 11, 2014
  8. Viper

Viper

Hi yea i think the battery is done but as discussed with Brian8gbSSDLinux that wouldn't explain it not powering up even with battery removed and on the charger ive updated the BIOS to see if that helps ill keep yous updated.

thank you

Viper, Apr 11, 2014
  9. Viper

babyleans

if your battery is in a bad state, there is usually a notice right after you power up your laptop telling you that you should "consider replacing your battery". there should also be a red "x" on the battery icon. if these don't show then it might be something else and not your battery.

babyleans, Apr 13, 2014
  10. Viper

Viper

Hi all i would like to thank you all for your help it turned out the best advice i received was from Brian8gbSSDLinux who advised to update the BIOS i updated it 4 days ago and since then the laptop has shut down and restarted with no issues so one again Brian8gbSSDLinux thank you for your help and also to the rest of you for your kind helpful advice.

I will keep this site in my favorites in case needed in the future although i hope not!! lol

Thank you:):cool:

Viper, Apr 14, 2014
  11. Viper

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Thank you for the Feed back...
    it is nice to know that you are up and running OK again.

I should really change my user name to something shorter... I'm actually knows as Sammyone on most other websites... but I started my NETBOOK Computing on an 8gb Aspire One running Linpus Linux... which was also my first time using Forums...

So you see, I can learn from my mistakes...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Apr 14, 2014
  12. Viper

zafeer2025

if your battery is in a bad state, there is usually a notice right after you power up your laptop telling you that you should "consider replacing your battery". there should also be a red "x" on the battery icon. if these don't show then it might be something else and not your battery.

zafeer2025, Jun 5, 2014
  13. Viper

philip ancelmo

Any can help me my asus laptap wont turn on only indicator lights after few seconds its off again.. im only studying.asus x55ma....

philip ancelmo, Nov 18, 2014
  14. Viper

Brian8gbSSDLinux

Philip, did you try doing what Viper had to do to get his computer running...

Unplug power cable - and - Remove the battery, hold down power button for 60 seconds, plug power cable back in
    Start the laptop then insert the battery.

A nearly dead battery COULD be pulling so much power from the laptop power supply that the computer cannot turn on...

Try that a couple of times... see if you CAN get it started...

I would HIGHLY recommend getting BatteryBar to anyone with a Laptop... Microsoft only shows you the percentage of AVAILABLE battery charge.... 80% of a 50% dead battery is NOT suitable for working with on a Train or a Plane (or bus!)

Please let us know how you get on,thanks.

Brian (for short)

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Nov 19, 2014
  15. Viper

philip ancelmo

I.ll try both of them but same again ill plug directly without battery but same problem..I think their is a problem for the hardware...can u helping me....

philip ancelmo, Nov 19, 2014
  16. Viper

Brian8gbSSDLinux

I just noticed a different post from a couple of years ago.... REMOVE the RAM Module (there is probably a small 'door' UNDER your Computer with a RAM memory card module in there)... unclip it - DO NOT touch its contacts with your fingers... rub those contacts with a pencil eraser (blow off any little bits of rubber) and Re-clip the RAM module back in - Your Computer MAY start...

IF still not working... Unfortunateley, Philiip... there are so many things that could be wrong with your computer that I really would not like to make a GUESS...

The main guide to sorting out your problem will be - what were you doing when the problem FIRST happened...

Had you changed anything to do with your computer. (like - fitted a new RAM module)

Had it been having start up problems for a day or two? (dodgy battery or power connector)

Maybe it had been shutting off when you were working with it ON your bed for instance... (Overheated and shut down, NOW it will not start) - My daughter did exactly that... instead of telling me it was happening - and ended up needing a new motherboard which cost almost as much as a new computer...

What you really need to do is to find a friendly neighbourhood Computer Repair shop where the guy/gal can talk to you and ask those sorts of questions, to get an idea which direction to start (even advise you, so YOU can go home and do something)...

But they will need to have seen your computer first - to see if it is anything that a repair guy would notice, but which you might not notice... like a start up message that flashes on screen and disappears straight away... giving an idea of what the problem is.

Sorry, but I believe that that is you best chance... Unless of course.. your computer is still under warranty...
    In which case RUSH it back to the shop you bought it from...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    Brian8gbSSDLinux, Nov 20, 2014
    philip ancelmo likes this.
  17. Viper

philip ancelmo

Yes

philip ancelmo, Nov 27, 2014
Ask a Question