Power indicator on but nothing works

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Splash, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Splash

Splash

Hi all, I hope you are doing well! I am new to this forum but I really need some help to troubleshoot and or fix my Asus q 551l laptop! I noticed it having some trouble about a month ago. It originally started with the mouse pad dying, which wasn't all that big of a deal to me as I use a usb mouse 99% of the time anyway. The next problem occured about 2 weeks ago and that didn't seem like a big deal either, but I could hear a noise coming from what I assumed to be the fan when I would first power it on. It sounded like a clanking like if something was stuck in it like a bug maybe? Anyway after a few seconds it would resolve and everything seemed to work fine. The 3rd and ultimate reason I'm here problem, occured about a week ago... I went to power on my laptop to do some important work and it wouldn't turn on! There was nothing on the screen and no sounds whatsoever! The power indicator light (lightbulb icon) on the front comes on fine and when I plug in the laptop the charge indicator light also lights up fine but there is no fans engaging no sounds from the hard drive, just nothing! I have tried the whole "hold the power button down for 40 seconds" thing to try and do a hard restart. I have even removed the battery and held the power button for a minute to release static etc. I have checked all the connections that I could see internally and I see nothing loose or misplaced. I see nothing lodged in the fan or anywhere else. So all that said to ask this... Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem here? And or have a solution to possibly fix it? Thanks for any help I am at my wit's end with laptops that just keep dying and this really was my favorite one ever!

Splash, Dec 3, 2020
  2. Splash

gray1

I do not own this model laptop but here is what I would try. I would remove the main battery and leave it out. Then I would plug in the charger. While the charger is plugged in, try to start up the laptop. If it boots and runs then odds are you have a shorted battery. A shorted battery or a shorted keyboard can stop them from booting. I would also try a different charger to make sure the charger is outputting the correct voltage. I don't know if you can find the CMOS battery or not on this model. But if you can, you can remove it and then replace it to see if it has a frozen bios. Also if you feel confortable with this, remove the hard drive and try booting. If it works you will see a boot screen. A bad hard drive can prevent one from starting up. About anything else means the laptop has to come apart. There are generally 3 voltage rails inside the laptop. A 5V, 3V, and a 19V. the power on light just really means the 3V rail has power. The 19V or 5V rail could still be out. Hope that helps you. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    gray1, Dec 4, 2020
  3. Splash

gray1

After watching a video on Youtube. It appears that this computer has a solid back and it has to come off to do anything to it. You may not be confortable with that. You might be better off to take it to a repair shop because you can ruin the computer pretty quick. Since you have a power light and a charge light, I don't think the power jack is the problem.

gray1, Dec 4, 2020
  4. Splash

Splash

I figured that it is something besides a power port problem. I already took the back off to replace the battery when I first got it and also had to replace the LCD which I was able to do successfully as there was no problem for several months! Then this just happened out of no where!

Splash, Dec 9, 2020
  5. Splash

gray1

If I was trying to repair it, the first thing I would do is to take the back cover off from it and unplug the main battery. If there is a CMOS battery remove it also and let it set a couple minutes. Then hook everything back up and try it again. It could be nothing but a frozen bios. Unfortunaetly It could also be a much worse problem.

gray1, Dec 9, 2020
  6. Splash

Splash

I did that but only unplugged the main battery, so I should try unhooking both? How long would you suggest to wait?
    When you say a much worse problem what are some examples? I was wondering if it might be the motherboard?

Splash, Dec 9, 2020
  7. Splash

gray1

Yes the Cmos battery keeps voltage to the Bios. So take it out for a few minutes. If you could review my first post there are several things that can stop laptop from booting. Unhook the hard drive, then try to start it also. All of these things can keep the laptop from booting. And yes it could be the motherboard not supplying the correct voltage to the correct places. Good luck

gray1, Dec 9, 2020
Ask a Question