Poll About Black Screen / Died Aspire One issue.

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Kaos2K, Aug 16, 2008.

?

Do you get your Aspire One died with the black screen issue

1. Yes i get black screen and i did not install any RAM module (You only had 512Mb board-soldered and n

1.6%
  2. Yes i get black screen sometime after installing 533Mhz RAM module

76.6%
  3. Yes i get black screen sometime after installing 533Mhz Kingston RAM module

4.7%
  4. Yes i get black screen sometime after installing 667Mhz RAM module

4.7%
  5. Yes i get black screen sometime after installing 667Mhz RAM Kingston module

6.3%
  6. Not sure of the config

6.3%
  1. Kaos2K

beano

The macles/Fn-Esc/DOS USB emergency repair method brought my dead A150 One back to life. I'm sticking with BIOS v.3109 until this is fixed by Acer - I'm guessing this will happen soon as they must be getting lots of these back.

:D

beano, Aug 20, 2008
  2. Kaos2K

Ganga

That's Ok, but one thing I try to distinguish is if it is a necessary condition or a sufficient condition (or even if it is unimportant) to have a 3114 BIOS version in order to finally get a dead AA1.
    That is, after reading some post I think it is not a sufficient condition to have the 3114 Version (because there are people like you that have a working 3114 Bios AA1), but i think it is necessay, because i've not read any post of a 3108 BIOS dead AA1.
    Perhaps, the 3114 BIOS version plus another thing (I don't know what, i'm speculating) is what is doing ours AA1 not boot. If this is the case maybe it would be better not to upgrade from 3108 to 3114.
    My AA1 was sent to Acer to repair for this reason (it didn´t boot) and I won't know the reason of the fail until they return it to me.

Ganga, Aug 20, 2008
  3. Kaos2K

Kaos2K

Just one thing... I upgraded to 3114 before upgrading RAM. The first module i used was a Kingston 667Mhz original... which was not recognised by my Aspire One (tries several times and nothing... but the module worked well in another laptops, not Ones) . Later i used a 533Mhz Samsung module and worked well. Thats the module i have right now.

Kaos2K, Aug 21, 2008
  4. Kaos2K

ljbusse

I bought mine from NewEgg. I have done no modifications to the system...512MB/8GB Linpus system.
    The problem occurred within the first two hours of use. I get the black screen only when running on battery. The time to failure is random...sometimes a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes.
    Power indicator is green and the wireless light is on but the screen is black and I can't get it to respond with a shutdown and reboot.

Should I return to the Newegg or try to deal with Acer???

PS the current BIOS is version 3109. Would an upgrade to 3114 help?

ljbusse, Aug 30, 2008
  5. Kaos2K

acron1

OK I have the 120 Gb WinXP 1Gb version upgraded to 1.5Gb (1 GB Sumsung) with the 3114 bios about a week old with no problems ruining ~4-5 hour/day. I hope this is not a problem as I plan to sell my Lenovo R61 and just keep the AA1.

acron1, Aug 31, 2008
  6. Kaos2K

Achilles

And the number of problems goes up and up. The poll showed 18 last Friday and now (4 days later) it is up to 26. That is about 2 a day on this forum registering a problem but I would be very surprised if that was much more than 1 or 2% of the total.

It is about time Acer made some official response to this problem.

Achilles, Sep 2, 2008
  7. Kaos2K

rjm

Thanks to Macles the black screen issue is basically fixed, right? Reflash and downgrade the BIOS and all is well.

Of course he was the one who pointed out the newer BIOS in the first place ... I doubt anyone would have upgraded their BIOS otherwise.

With absolute power comes absolute responsibility...

rjm, Sep 3, 2008
  8. Kaos2K

wimpie

so does mine
    Mine broke 8 days after i bought it (without modifications).
    AOA 150 1gb/120gb HD/XP and came with 3114 BIOS

YEAH........................ after finding a possible solution on this forum (macles*)(http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/08/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html
    did the trick and works for me
    now a other question... where to find bios 3109 or wont that help? to prevent the problem
    as for now i`m going complaining to Acer Netherlands :twisted:

wimpie, Sep 4, 2008
  9. Kaos2K

blackhawk

blackhawk, Sep 4, 2008
  10. Kaos2K

wimpie

wimpie, Sep 5, 2008
  11. Kaos2K

wimpie

wimpie, Sep 5, 2008
  12. Kaos2K

Achilles

Best of luck.

I have been on to them for the past 2 weeks (since I took my One in for repair). Have sent them several e-mails giving them details of the problem but have been singularly unsuccessful in getting through to anyone who has the slightest clue.

Achilles, Sep 5, 2008
  13. Kaos2K

Infected24

Theres one option missing.

"Yes i get black screen and i did not install any RAM module -XP 120GB version- (You only had 1GB: 512 MB board-soldered and 512 MB module in the slot)

By the way, i also got the black screen today. Damn, i freaked out, i tought it was a electrical discharge, am fine now i know im not the only one with this problem.

Infected24, Sep 23, 2008
  14. Kaos2K

Tamrac

To those who got the black screen and downgraded the BIOS..... have you tried the recently released BIOS? I'm curious if it helps. I have not got the black screen issue, and I've upgraded to the latest BIOS couple of days ago, so I'm not sure if it's already safe to say it has been fixed or not.

Tamrac, Sep 23, 2008
  15. Kaos2K

Huw

I started getting the black screen (of death?) last night, when the battery was reporting ~20% charge. It looks like the power management daemon misreporting the charge level, because it's been fine for over an hour this morning after receiving a full charge.

Huw, Sep 29, 2008
Ask a Question