Please help - my AAO just shuts down for no reason

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by desolate, Jun 16, 2009.

1. desolate

desolate

I've had it since Christmas last year. It is the 8.9" Windows XP edition. I never had a problem like this before. About 5 to 10 seconds into booting up, it just completely shuts down. Sometimes it just makes it into Windows and sometimes it shuts down while the Windows loading screen is up. The battery is in there snug. This happens whether the computer is plugged in or not. Like I said, this never happened before. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Thank you in advance!

desolate, Jun 16, 2009
  2. desolate

ronime

Have you heard the cooling fan start up at all recently? If not, then I suspect that your cooling fan has some kind of fault and has stopped working. The Aspire One will shut down if it determines that the cooling fan should be spinning but isn't.

ronime, Jun 16, 2009
  3. desolate

desolate

I'm not completely certain as of recent but I know it has been working for as far as I can remember. Maybe that is the problem. Thanks for the input.

desolate, Jun 16, 2009
  4. desolate

desolate

Now that is was mentioned and I listened closely for it, the fan doesn't appear to come on. Ugh.. I hope this thing is still under warranty.

desolate, Jun 16, 2009
  5. desolate

scirocco

Had this problem recently too and it was the fan causing the problem. Found some posts that suggested tapping the case near the fan (some sugessted harder taps than others) or blowing in the vent to try to jar the fan into movement again. I tried the tapping method (moderately hard) and was successful in getting the fan spinning again and I have not had any boot up issues since.

scirocco, Jun 17, 2009
  6. desolate

desolate

Oddly enough, someone managed to spill a drink on my case last night. I don't think it did any damage since it wasn't on the keyboard or anything. Now, the fan is back up and working. Go figure haha

desolate, Jun 17, 2009
  7. desolate

harrkev

I had the same problem, and mine is only two weeks old.

I removed the power supply AND battery for about two minutes. Been working fine ever since.

harrkev, Jun 22, 2009
  8. desolate

rincage

Had the same thing when I first got mine. "Fixed itself" and been fine every since. Wierd!

rincage, Jun 27, 2009
  9. desolate

zwan33

Mine also fixed itself... Maybe when I got really reeeeaaallly upset I gave it a little shake and it came alive again! I'd say I was lucky... Next time I'll tap, shake and blow to move that fan! ;-)

zwan33, Jul 16, 2009
Ask a Question