Please help me decide between these two

Discussion in 'Which Laptop should I buy?' started by xchrisx, Feb 21, 2016.

1. xchrisx

xchrisx

I can't decide between these two laptops.

http://radium.hu/acer-aspire-e5-571g-53qu.html (I would buy this with additional +4 gb ram, so 8 overall as the other one)

or

http://radium.hu/catalog/product/view/id/5162

Which one do you prefer for game, 3D work (After Effects, Cinema 4D, Elemenet 3D, Premiere Pro video Editing, 4K video playback)

I know these are not the perfect one for that stuff, but what do you prefer that takes most jobs well? Thank you all!

xchrisx, Feb 21, 2016
  2. xchrisx

djtech

Go for the Acer laptop - firstly it has the better performing graphics card. Plus, it costs you less. Finally, it has the i5 processor which makes a lot of difference during gaming and while handling video editing and graphics design software.

In case you need a deeper comparison, check this out: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2883...n-graphics-cards-for-every-budget.html?page=8

Also, you can benchmark laptops yourself or find existing data online that'll aid you in your decision - the Acer laptop wins handsdown in terms of benchmarks. Hope this helps.

djtech, Feb 22, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and xchrisx like this.
  3. xchrisx

IBMPC8088

I would go for the Asus since you're going to have power everywhere and an advantage over the Acer everywhere except the video card and acceleration, which is going to be better on the Acer on that. If you're doing any type of virtualization, I would steer clear of the Acer and go for the Asus.

If you're just going to do video and use this as a bare metal system, then the Acer would be good for that, but you'd want to boost up the ram to at least 8GB since it only has 4GB.

If you don't want to have to upgrade the ram or change anything, then the Asus might be better in that case.

Both of these systems are going to do whatever you want them to do for the programs listed as long as you have 4GB Ram+ and an SSD in there.

Single core tasks (tasks assigned to each core of the quadcore processor, which both of these systems are) are going to be significantly faster on the Asus with the AMD CPU at 3.4GHZ rather than 2.7GHZ on the Intel Core I5 with the Acer. The Acer is going to fare slightly better under multicore stress because it has an extra 1MB of processor cache than the Asus does. So if you're using multiple cores in succession, you'll see a little extra speed out of the Acer for that, but you'll see slightly more speed for everything else out of the Asus except for the video card where the Acer has a little better GPU.

You honestly wouldn't notice that much of a difference for any of these programs between the two models if the ram and the other specs were lined up. Online games that place a heavy load on the GPU for graphics would be the most noticeable. They both have 2GB of DDR3 ram dedicated to the video they provide, same screen resolution, and most other features. Neither one of them comes with an SSD, but should. They have 5400rpm magnetic drives which are going to slow you down regardless which system you get. My first move if getting either one would be to upgrade that and replace it with an SSD so you have the speed you deserve to and need out of it.

IBMPC8088, Feb 25, 2016
    xchrisx likes this.
  4. xchrisx

Personablue

I will also vote for the acer model. It has 840M Nvidia graphics card. Nowadays majority of the games are powered by Nvidia Geforce so your best bet would be to avoid AMD at least in the laptop end. Just like the above poster said you should definitely think of upgrading the laptop with a SSD. The price per GB has gone down and SSD has become quite affordable.
    And no 4GB ram don't cut it anymore, the minimum u must aim is for a DDR3 8GB which both the laptop satisfy.

Personablue, Mar 6, 2016
  5. xchrisx

Raider19

I would go with the acer, the brand is strong and you know what you are paying for. The graphic card is a good one and that is what you are looking for in gaming. If you are just getting into the gaming world then this computer will be a good starting point and as you progress you can upgrade.

Raider19, Mar 9, 2016
  6. xchrisx

vinaya

I have tried Acer, Even though I have never used Acer Aspire, I think this modeI will fulfill your requirements. My laptop is old, I am using this laptop since 6 years. I am also thinking to switch to Acer after using HP for a long time

vinaya, Mar 26, 2016
  7. xchrisx

SirJoe

SirJoe, Apr 2, 2016
  8. xchrisx

Zelle139

Hmm.. I normally would go with ASUS since in my and my friends' experiences, it's a lot more reliable in the long run compared to Acer.
    However, it all really depends on what you'll be using the laptop for. Considering your usage, the Acer would probably be your best bet since the overall benchmark is higher, and SirJoe and a few others pointed out that you could always upgrade the RAM at another time. Hope you were able to decide on the right laptop for you!

Zelle139, Apr 2, 2016
Ask a Question