please help laptop trouble

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by lilrobo, Aug 20, 2014.

1. lilrobo

lilrobo

i bought a new battery form amazon and i think i chargged it , but when iunplugged it its dead,, the light blinks and it says plugged in and charging, , i do have the orginal battery , we have a 7 hour flight thats why i bought a extra ,, is there anything i can do ?

thanks

lilrobo, Aug 20, 2014
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. lilrobo

BlueNile81

Did you ensure that the battery meets the specific requirements of your laptop? It is not enough if the battery just fits! You can risk ruining your laptop as well, by using an incompatible battery.

BlueNile81, Sep 25, 2014
    Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. lilrobo

Brian8gbSSDLinux

A bit late in the day... I too have recently bought a New battery from Amazon,

(Just so you know, Blue Nile... You ASK for a battery for a SPECIFIC make/Model of computer - so it's specs SHOULD be OK)

Like you lilrobo my new battery says charging but it doesn't... So you are NOT alone...
    I am trying to pluck up courage to open the battery and look to see if it is connected inside... but if I do that, I can't send it back... and possibly get ANOTHER no working Battery...

the NEXT battery form Amazon, will NOT be the cheapest, nor from that same Company on Amazon.

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Sep 28, 2014
  4. lilrobo

Brian8gbSSDLinux

I bit the bullet and - as my digital voltmeter told me that the battery was 0.00 volts -

I VERY CAREFULLY split the case open to access the ACTUAL BATTERY terminals, and measured AGAIN - (not at the connector - which MIGHT have been disconnected) still 0.00 v

Careful MAGNIFYING GLASS inspection showed CRAP soldering!!! LOTS of dry joints... even as an Apprentice 56 years ago, I would have been ashamed to produce such crappy work !!!

I also found a Flux bridge from the Internal (+) terminal, to one of the Resistors causing a short circuit, which had fried, burned out, the Resistor sending it up in smoke... resulting in an open circuit resistor and hence - NO CHARGING...

So that's why it didn't charge... Unless you are a VERY brave person, lilrobo, I do NOT advise following my example - BECAUSE if the cells ARE CHARGED... sticking a knife blade (or a screwdriver) into the guts of a NiCd battery can result in UNLIMITED discharge currents, resulting in molten metal (the screwdriver) spraying everywhere and an INSTANT FIRE

Remember the Sony Laptop Fires of a few years ago???
    I do - Which is why I was VERY, VERY CAREFUL...

Brian8gbSSDLinux, Sep 28, 2014
Ask a Question